Non-std steering rack on Plus 2?

PostPost by: autopia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks Ian,

I omitted to add that I accepted John's offer and do have an original baby elan rack.

So, I've ordered some new track rod ends and extenders, but I need a tie rod as the thread on one of them is well past it's sell-by-date, Kelsport and SJ have them with the locking nut mechanim for around ?60 but I only need the tie rod itself, any ideas on where I could get one, even a second hand one?

best regards

Darren
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: autopia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 pm

Also looking for some second hand restrictors to reduce the turning cirlcle, if you have any ideas?

Cheers again
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm

That is a pretty interesting rack, it appears to be +2 specific, no?

Wonder if 25 years ago Spyder was having them made, I mean, who else?

The restrictor is just a chunk of tubing slid over the rack, IIRC
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: autopia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:47 pm

So, the steering saga arrives at a conclusion.

Thought I'd post what I've found today and where I've got to in case it helps anyone else.

The good news is I've adjusted my original rack, I spoke to Roger at Kiley Clinton in Birmingham, see: http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/ who, after seeing pics of the rack and the angled teeth advises its a Quinton Hazell or Dana rack, he says it's unusual because of the helical pinion and encouraged me to carry on working on the bronze plug.

It was pinned horizontally, the marks on the top were just peens.
But some judicious drilling later, it was moving and I finally got it undone.

Underneath is a nylon bush which sits on the back of the rack, pinching up the bronze plug has removed the little bit of play, so the rack is back in my chassis and I can plan to get the engine back in.

What else did I learn: the herald high ratio racks (2.5 turns) from Rimmers still give a 25ft turning circle, so if anyone wanted to use one on an Elan, restrictors will likely turn it into a 1.5 turn rack, very quick but could you park with it?

The baby elan rack I've got from John Clegg needs reconditioning, I had ordered extenders from Kelsport but when measured alongside the QH rack, they're too long with track rod ends and I'd have to start cutting down the tie rods, my QH rack has one extender on the near side but it's half the length of the Kelsport ones, I wonder if that's what I need for the Elan rack?

My plan is to go with the QH rack to get the car back on the road, and in the meantime, I'll recondition the Elan rack if I can get the right extenders and restrictors.

However, I can't recommend Roger at Kiley Clinton highly enough, he knows his stuff and could have reconditioned either rack for me, but he encouraged me to try once more on the bronze plug, stating I could save some money if I could adjust it - you don't often get that from a supplier.

I've had an offer of another rack from another forum member, will look at that option if it helps me to get one good rack together for the day I need to swap out the QH rack.

Thanks for all your comments and input.

Cheers
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi, I used Killy Clinton about 4 years a go to do my rack - thought how good it was that I walked in to the workshop one Saturday morning and some chap took my rack of me replaced the rack with a new one, set the pinion height, fitted and adjusted new ball joints and bushes then said I had to do the rest my self! Gave me his card - managing director and charged me not a lot.
Walked away happy!

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: