Brake caliper mountings

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 pm

I just rebuilt 4 front calipers last weekend and did not worry about returning the correct halves together again.

I wondered if perhaps they were matched while I was rebuilding but could not imagine why that would be done in production. So, I carried on with reckless abandon.

Out of curiosity I just measured all 4 and the gap between the two inner sides of the 4 calipers varied no more than .005" total.

I doubt that is an issue in this case.

Briggs
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 am

10? is a massive amount! That would equate to the brake pad touching on one side and having a 9-10mm gap on the other, are you sure?

Are you refitting old worn brake pads?

Have the stub axles been replaced or removed and refitted? Could they be bent? Unlikely that both would have the same degree of misalignment.

Are you using the stock disc backplates? - I recall that on my Caterham (same uprights) that if they were removed I had to use a shim of the same thickness but I think that may have been for the steering arms, I dont have anything to look at to refresh my memory.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Might have found the issue. When disassembling a hub the felt/metal seal fell out showing some signs of crushing. Installed hub without felt seal and all is right with the world.

Is the seal necessary? If so, is there a trick to installing it?

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi

It retains the grease in the hub woudnt like to get grease on the disc in an emergency
I would fit it
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi Charlie,
The oiled felt seal keeps moisture out of the inner bearing.
To fit:
Fit inner bearing, remove felt seal from it's metal backing, tap metal backing into hub until flush, lightly oil felt seal, place it back in to it's metal backing and offer hub up to the upright. Rotate the hub when sliding home to ensure that the felt seal sits squarely in position.
Note: the seal initially looks too thick for the job, but it will squash down as the axle nut is tightened. It will also make the hub drag a bit when tightening the nut. If you have over oiled the seal, you will end up with a little oil being squeezed out and dripping on the inner tyre surface.
Cheers,
Colin.

fattogatto wrote:Might have found the issue. When disassembling a hub the felt/metal seal fell out showing some signs of crushing. Installed hub without felt seal and all is right with the world.

Thanks,
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 pm

It will not create any misalignment let alone 10?.

Still cant believe that figure.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Chancer wrote:It will not create any misalignment let alone 10?.

Still cant believe that figure.

Sorry you can't believe the figure.

If it is installed improperly that is quite possible.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 pm

fatboyoz wrote:Hi Charlie,
The oiled felt seal keeps moisture out of the inner bearing.
To fit:
Fit inner bearing, remove felt seal from it's metal backing, tap metal backing into hub until flush, lightly oil felt seal, place it back in to it's metal backing and offer hub up to the upright. Rotate the hub when sliding home to ensure that the felt seal sits squarely in position.
Note: the seal initially looks too thick for the job, but it will squash down as the axle nut is tightened. It will also make the hub drag a bit when tightening the nut. If you have over oiled the seal, you will end up with a little oil being squeezed out and dripping on the inner tyre surface.
Cheers,
Colin.
]

Thanks Colin. Exactly the type of help I was looking for. Should be a piece of cake now. I'll report back.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:57 am

fattogatto wrote:Might have found the issue. When disassembling a hub the felt/metal seal fell out showing some signs of crushing. Installed hub without felt seal and all is right with the world.

Thanks,

:D Ahh, good to see there was a simple (and cheap ! ) solution. Never thought of that one.......
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Not noticing the inner steel rings of the previous felt seals still inserted into the hubs, the new seals were fitted on top of old rings. The felt seals had apparently long disintegrated so it wasn't obvious to be. Corrected and we have achieved perfect alignment. Thanks to those of you who had the corrective advice.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm glad you found the problem and that its all sorted now.

You originally said that you had assembled the hubs etc but the disk was at an angle. The one thing that is still a mystery to me is how the hub was able to rotate on its bearings? If it had two seals instead of one I would have expected the hub to be solid.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: