Current thinking on 13" tires for S1-S2 Elans (2016)

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Given the number of miles travelled by most owners, the softest stickiest most short lived tyres should be used.

AO48 Yokohama tyres were brilliant when fitted to my +2, I did 6 track days including 4 that were open pit lane, had a lot of fun and sold the tyres 3 years later with more than 5 mm of tread. They were a bit noisy for everyday motorway road use, but you hardly noticed for A roads. I have a set of AO 48s for my S4, hardly scrubbed in, but the grip was awesome on the one occasion I used them.

I have Yokohama C Drive 2 tyres on both cars at the moment, quiet on motorways and good grip on all road conditions.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Spyder fan wrote:AO48 Yokohama tyres were brilliant when fitted to my +2, I did 6 track days including 4 that were open pit lane, had a lot of fun and sold the tyres 3 years later with more than 5 mm of tread. .

That's fantastic.
You must drive over a lot of marbles given the starting tread depth is 4.8mm :wink:
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Would you accept 5 years later with more than 3mm of tread? :D

They really didn't seem to wear an awful lot, and the Ebayer who bought them was very complimentary and pleased with his bargain.

At the moment I'm looking at brakes that are too much for the weight of the car, the pad material embeds into the discs and makes them oscillate unless you remove and clean the discs every other month, the advice from Wilwood is to give them a damn good thrashing, but I don't do track days anymore and hardly need to use the brakes on the road.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: