Lotus Elan

Current thinking on 13" tires for S1-S2 Elans (2016)

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am

i already am old rohan, BUT using almost one set per season of the 539s (and more for the A048 ooooops!!, because i don't like to get my car wet, and its always raining whenever the boys go for their wet sessions!) sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Location: switzerland

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:40 pm

bill308 wrote:Meg,
155 was specified for my 1966 S2 SE and probably for the following S3 SE's.
Bill

I stand corrected, Bill; I was quoting from the Workshop Manual which covers the S4 too.

Sandy, some of us drive standard Elans on public roads at proper Elan speeds and I, personally, haven't found problems with any tyres in the dry. I don't push cars in the wet, there isn't enough margin.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 982
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Location: Barnham, W Sussex, UK

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am

i have to follow friends in europes (150hp), sevens 140+, and a roadlegal 23, S O how the hell could i keep up with them: i'd be pealing the tread off! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Location: switzerland

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am

"some of us drive standard Elans on public roads at proper Elan speed"

I wonder what Colin Chapman and Jim Clarke would have considered proper Elan speeds :lol:
But I know they would have fitted Yoko A-050R for that quick trip back to Duns by Jim if they were available in the day

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7486
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 pm

a standard elan couldnt keep up with them, no matter what type of rubber! 36 4982 SSE! made in bristol
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Location: switzerland

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:06 pm

rgh0 wrote:But I know they would have fitted Yoko A-050R for that quick trip back to Duns by Jim if they were available in the


last I heard from my tire supplier, A050 were not available in Europe in 13" unfortunately (or 14") ...
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:27 pm

nmauduit wrote:
rgh0 wrote:But I know they would have fitted Yoko A-050R for that quick trip back to Duns by Jim if they were available in the


last I heard from my tire supplier, A050 were not available in Europe in 13" unfortunately (or 14") ...


Europe has had new noise regulations recently around tyres that have potentially stopped the release of the A 050R and they have kept supply of the A048R to there based on some earlier approval. In Australia you can no longer get the A 048R just the A 050R which appear to perform slightly better on the track.

The current Toyo 888R which was a similalry performing tyre to the A-048R has been replaced in Australia with a new version that meets the European noise regulations and it is slower on the track :shock: So Toyo users are moving to Yokos. I have heard rumours that Yoko are working on a new version also to meet the European regs which will probably also be slower :twisted:

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7486
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:44 pm

rgh0 wrote:
nmauduit wrote:
rgh0 wrote:But I know they would have fitted Yoko A-050R for that quick trip back to Duns by Jim if they were available in the


last I heard from my tire supplier, A050 were not available in Europe in 13" unfortunately (or 14") ...


Europe has had new noise regulations recently around tyres that have potentially stopped the release of the A 050R and they have kept supply of the A048R to there based on some earlier approval. In Australia you can no longer get the A 048R just the A 050R which appear to perform slightly better on the track.

The current Toyo 888R which was a similalry performing tyre to the A-048R has been replaced in Australia with a new version that meets the European noise regulations and it is slower on the track :shock: So Toyo users are moving to Yokos. I have heard rumours that Yoko are working on a new version also to meet the European regs which will probably also be slower :twisted:

cheers
Rohan


A048 is elan sizes were heavily de stoked here earlier this year, and supply has run out within a 50 km radius just as I was getting a set. I have heard that a Korean sub brand may take over Yokohama's A048 line, possibly by the end of the year, but have not seen any announcement long that line...

Regarding regulations, when I drive on A048, the noise is not coming from the tires...
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Like Ross, I'm a simple man....even simpler! :D

Last 155/80's are Douglas from Walmart. Made in the USA by Cooper I've been told. $28 a pop!! I like them and see only one flaw in them.......they came from Walmart! :cry:

Kurt
nomad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 05 May 2012
Location: South Dakota, USA

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:36 pm

nomad wrote:Like Ross, I'm a simple man....even simpler! :D

Last 155/80's are Douglas from Walmart. Made in the USA by Cooper I've been told. $28 a pop!! I like them and see only one flaw in them.......they came from Walmart! :cry:

Kurt

You let those Walmart clowns touch your Elan?
User avatar
Fred Talmadge
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Location: Bellville, TX USA

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Fred Talmadge wrote:
nomad wrote:Like Ross, I'm a simple man....even simpler! :D

Last 155/80's are Douglas from Walmart. Made in the USA by Cooper I've been told. $28 a pop!! I like them and see only one flaw in them.......they came from Walmart! :cry:

Kurt

You let those Walmart clowns touch your Elan?


Heavens no!! Purchased for an Sprite and I mounted them myself. [wire wheels] :wink:

Kurt.
nomad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 05 May 2012
Location: South Dakota, USA

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:21 am

el-saturn wrote:................what surprises me: NOBODY mentions a modern tyre which can handle the power of a TC. in my opinion the tyres mentioned are adequate for vehicles for the disabled (i know and love my diabled friends btw!!): 30 to 60hp!!! and not 110 - 160!! i use a539 yokos 175 60 13 and 008s! sandy PS hope to get some critical replies

The standard Elan TC was rated at a 125 bhp or less depending on the model. In the '60s most engines were rated for gross power. Most of today's small to medium sized cars are rated at over 100 bhp net. In addition the Elan has a mass slightly more than half that of a modern small car. The 13-inch tyres from any reputable brand (Continental, Uniroyal, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, etc., etc., etc.) are more than adequate for a normal Elan.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: 01 May 2006
Location: Galway, Ireland

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:. The 13-inch tyres from any reputable brand (Continental, Uniroyal, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, etc., etc., etc.) are more than adequate for a normal Elan.


What is "adequate" even for a "normal" Elan is a very personal judgement and will be based on the drivers expectation and judgement with regards the usage and conditions in which that usage occurs.

Most modern 13 inch tyres ( even the cheapest) are far better than what was fitted to Elans in the day so they should be adequate :D . However expectations have changed dramatically over the last 50 years also so adequacy may not be what it used to be

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7486
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Agreed, Rohan. I was referring to the comment about tyres capability of handling the power of a Twin Cam.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: 01 May 2006
Location: Galway, Ireland

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:51 pm

The problem I have with most 13" tires today is, they were designed for go to market lumps. The load carrying capacity of a single tire is almost equal to the total weight of the Elan. Would love to find a nice light weight tire, rather than adding the equivalent of 20 lbs to my flywheel.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Location: Escondido, California
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: Andrewelan and 11 guests