Rear shocks and springs

PostPost by: Oasis1 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:52 pm

I need new rear springs and shocks for my 70 elan. I am in the States. Any suggestions on what type and where to get them? I would prefer adjustable shocks. These I assume cant be just picked up at Advanced Auto. Does anyone offer a full kit? I have had triumphs in the past and kits etc are everywhere, but I know with this elan Im not in Kansas anymore. Let me know if anyone has suggestions...Thanks JIm
Oasis1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Unless your springs are broken, it seems unlikely you would need new ones. Elans rarely have saggy spring issues with the stock springs unless they have corroded/yielded.

As for shocks, you are correct you can't pick them up at the local parts store. Several Lotus parts suppliers in the U.S.(in no particular order) like RD Enterprises, JAE, and Dave Bean Engineering should have them in stock in either a stock type or uprated performance versions.

Don't neglect to replace the rubber bumper at the top of the shock as your originals will likely be mush or missing at this point. The rubber "cone" mounts that locate the upper shock are also likely to be perished.

I would also add that if you don't have a workshop manual, now would be a good time to get one, as you pretty much have to remove or at least loosen the entire rear suspension to replace the shocks. While it is possible to do the job by just disconnecting the half shafts and tilting the strut assembly "out" of the wheel well, if your shocks are toast you are likely to find them rusted in place and all of the rubber suspension bushings are tired as well. Much less of a job than it sounds.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear