l/h/rear suspension knock

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Thu May 19, 2016 9:04 pm

hi guys, its been a while since i was on here, but i have just started to recommence work on my 71 sprint.The rolling chassis is completely new from the ground up, poly bushed all round, cv driveshafts, discs/calipers trunnions etc etc. the problem i have is that the left hand rear suspension knocks on rebound. i have new ttr shocks, locatones etc, but one thing i notice is that the top spring plate where the end of the spring sits is touching the strut on the inside when stationary with no load. have i mixed up the spring plates? ie wrong sides. are they sided or not? the top nut of the adjustable damper is up tight, any thoughts would be appreciated, ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Ian
the top spring plates are same both sides, are your springs standard dia
When you fit them you must ensure that the spring ends are located in the plate recesses top and bottom before tightening the top nut
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 pm

they are. this is what has me baffled. The only other thing I can think of is a bent chassis? ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Maybe the hole in the spring plate has rounded, allowing the plate to turn?
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:41 pm

We had a knock on one side of the rear suspension, it took a bit of finding but it was the damper insert catching on the bottom of the strut housing. Solved by removing insert and cutting a thin piece of rubber and dropping it down the strut. Refilled with a little oil and rebuilt unit and it's now fine.

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Fri May 20, 2016 9:21 pm

will look at the top plate and also check the insert, thanks for the help guys, ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: