Which 155/80 R13 Tyre

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm

I have Uniroyal Rain Sport 3's on my every day car and they are very good but i'm never planning on using my Elan in the heavy rain/winter so i've gone with Falken Sincera SN832 summer tires mainly because there is a Falken dealer very close to me and the on line reviews are very good (plus they where CHEAP!! ?26 a corner + fitting)

A good friend uses Pirelli P3000 and swears by them in the dry but at the time i couldn't get them for less than ?50 a tyre + fitting for some odd reason (I know it sounds soft but i do prefer the tread pattern of the Pirelli's)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:03 pm

Davidb wrote:We cannot get the Uniroyal Rainexperts in N.America so I have been shopping around. One possibility is General Tire Altimax RT43. These are generally rated slightly higher than the equivalent Kumhos but are still T rate-like the previous poster I think this is acceptable for street use. General Tire is part of Continental Tire apparently. However, the smallest size they do in 13 inch is 175 which is what I am looking for since I have wider rims and narrow springs but may not suit others.

I went for "Barum Brillantis 2" 175/70r13 for my +2, another Continental owned tire company based in Europe. Available from Discount tires for ~$40 each. So far they seem good, T rated, low noise, smooth, plenty of grip and quite a soft rubber. Quite a few online reviews with positive feedback

I'd prefer to run 165/80r13 but the choice over here is very limited. Pretty much just Chinese made tires. Which are probably fine for a light part time car but some negative reviews online.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Just checked with Universal Tire in Hersey PA. They said that the 13 inch Veredestein tires are being phased out - again. However they have 17 of the 155 and 39 of the 165 both H rated on hand. So get while they got em!!
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:49 pm

mbell wrote:
Davidb wrote:We cannot get the Uniroyal Rainexperts in N.America so I have been shopping around. One possibility is General Tire Altimax RT43. These are generally rated slightly higher than the equivalent Kumhos but are still T rate-like the previous poster I think this is acceptable for street use. General Tire is part of Continental Tire apparently. However, the smallest size they do in 13 inch is 175 which is what I am looking for since I have wider rims and narrow springs but may not suit others.

I went for "Barum Brillantis 2" 175/70r13 for my +2, another Continental owned tire company based in Europe. Available from Discount tires for ~$40 each. So far they seem good, T rated, low noise, smooth, plenty of grip and quite a soft rubber. Quite a few online reviews with positive feedback

I'd prefer to run 165/80r13 but the choice over here is very limited. Pretty much just Chinese made tires. Which are probably fine for a light part time car but some negative reviews online.

I found that this Barum tire is available in 185/60x13 and is H rated at that size. Will they fit a Plus 2?
Anybody tried them?
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:33 pm

I think the general conclusion they probably fit but you may have some rubbing and you may need to "adjust" your rear spring mounts.

A 185/60 will a significantly smaller diameter than original (and a 175/70r13), a online estimates you'll actually be doing ~60MPH for n indicated 65MPH! What is making you look at the 185/60r13 is it just the speed rating?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:52 pm

I must have been thinking out loud! Since I just fitted a 3.54 diff at considerable expense it would not be a smart move to fit a smaller tire would it? I checked with this handy-dandy tire comparison site and you are right, a 185/60 is considerably smaller diameter than a 175/70:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -185-60r13

I would be interested to hear more on these Barum Brilliantis tires-they are as cheap as $35 in some shops. I note they have a lower mileage expectation than other similar tires so maybe they are stickier?
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 pm

I've only ~50 miles on them so only really first impressions. Your right they are soft, soft enough that ~20 miles was enough for me to notice I had too much toe in on the car as you could see the wear on the edge of the tread. Since I've worn the protective coating of I haven't manged to lock the wheels, spin the wheels or slide the car. I've been taking it gently but they do seem quite grippy.

With the +2 being a light car I am happy that they are softer for the extra grip. I expect with the limited mileage the car will get the tires are going to age out before I wear them out. So a gripy, soft, higher wear tire is fine. It's probably safer to have newer cheaper tires on the car than expensive older ones.

The other advantage is they are easily available should you need to replace one while on a trip in the car.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: