New Lotocones

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:03 pm

I have a perished rear Loto (causing the rear end to 'skip' in corners) so I ordered 2 new ones from Kelvedon along with a pair of strut inserts (it's a +2)

I was very surprised to find the cones are a totally different design to the originals (inferior to my eye).

The originals have the rubber fully encapsulated within a metal cone/housing, whereas these new ones have just the metal mounting plate (much thicker than the original) but the whole of the rubber cone is just a single moulding with a metal tube in the centre.

I would have thought the metal cone, as per original, would result in a more reliable, longer lasting, mounting with better strut location?

Has anyone any experience of these and are they okay as I don't like the look of them?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:25 am

The outside metal cone is essential to the function. I have seen three different types over the years but they all had the outer cone. Sometimes the outer cone is partially covered in a thin film rubber but it must be there.

Without the outer cone the rubber is in tension from the base plate and will rapidly fail.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 am

my thoughts exactly Rohan,

It's definately not there - I am going to ring the supplier.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: