adjustable S4 top arms wanted

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:15 pm

A ball joint spiltter? :-)

If you want them, the top wishbones need to be adjustable without the need to remove them otherwise they are a pain, IMO.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:26 pm

stevebroad wrote:A ball joint spiltter? :-)

If you want them, the top wishbones need to be adjustable without the need to remove them otherwise they are a pain, IMO.

I was being ironic, hence the smilies!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Steve
Did you ever get your design into production ?
I would buy a set if you had them availiable!
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
stevebroad wrote:A ball joint spiltter? :-)

I was being ironic, hence the smilies!

Gosh, I hadn't realised.................:-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:42 pm

holywood3645 wrote:Steve
James

Hi James

Modifications to original design (to clear standard dampers) have been made, but I will not be offering them until I have road tested them. I thought that my car would be running a long time ago and I don't want to have other people testing them for me :-)

Regards

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:08 pm

stevebroad wrote:
holywood3645 wrote:Steve
James

Hi James

Modifications to original design (to clear standard dampers) have been made, but I will not be offering them until I have road tested them. I thought that my car would be running a long time ago and I don't want to have other people testing them for me :-)

Regards

Steve

Control freak! :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:51 pm

For what its worth, I'm using Spyder adjustable wishbones with Spyders adjustable rubber bush set up (rather than rose joints)
They are as fiddly to set up as rose joints but I hope the ride will be sufficiently precise and smoother than rose joints.
I have a set of standard Spyder tubular adjustable front wishbones that I will be selling shortly because I ended up using a non standard length - I know..
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:24 am

Are the spyder adjustable front arms the best option here, or are there other options?
Thanks
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:11 am

holywood3645 wrote:Are the spyder adjustable front arms the best option here, or are there other options?
Thanks

I have used the Elan Trikbits adjustable upper arms that use bushes. Nicely made like all of Col Crouchers stuff.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:57 am

Lots and f hassle and cost if this is for a road car and need to check legality of rod ends on road registered vehicles.
Other options with std top arms, measure settings at desired ride height, work out how far inboard you need to move to get desired camber and then:
1 slot outboard hole for top ball joint
2 machine up offset inner wishbone bushes
3 do reverse with bottom arms as well.

I’ve use option 1 a number of times if ride height drop is for road use. If dramatic drop then 26r arms also adjust angle of top ball joint to avoid it hitting range extents.

Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:38 pm

On the road car I have Spyder billet bush adapters on the top wishbones, making them adjustable for camber at reasonably standard ride height.
As Vaughan says, the top joint binds if you lower them too much without 26R 'bones.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:45 pm

Shoot me down if this is a daft idea. One of the cheapest and easiest parts to change on the Elan is the top ball joint. So what if a supplier could offer a range of ball joints, that have their mounting holes drilled slightly inboard or outboard compared to the standard ball joint? Would that have the effect of altering the camber because you're moving the ball joint either inwards or outwards? I don't know how many different "sizes" would be necessary to do the same thing as a pair of adjustable rose joints at the other end. Or is it not the same thing? As I said, shoot me down if I'm talking a load of tripe.

Mike
Last edited by smo17003 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:02 pm

smo17003 wrote:Shoot me down if this is a daft idea. One of the cheapest and easiest parts to change on the Elan is the top ball joint. So what if a supplier could offer a range of ball joints, that have their mounting holes drilled slightly inboard or outboard compared to the standard ball joint? Would that have the effect of altering the camber because you're moving the ball joint either inwards or outwards? I don't know how many different "sizes" would be necessary to do the same thing as a pair of adjustable ball joints at the other end. Or is it not the same thing? As I said, shoot me down if I'm talking a load of tripe.

Mike

The only issue I can see with that is that moving the ball joint inboard to bring more negative camber, would move the wheel inboard and with TTR upper wishbones in the 26R set up you already have to bash the top of the wishbone downwards to clear the wheel. This may be less likely to be a problem with the solid plate that others use as the ball joint interface.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:41 am

Slots in the top outboard wishbones is not ideal in my opinion. TTR did it to a car I own. Over a savage bump on the NC500 I obtained a more dramatic camber on nearside wheel. Admittedly they had too much adjustment. Not my doing.
I set up properly level and used the camber gauge to find the proper postion. Tacked washers and checked again. Then committed to full weld and repaint. Sorted.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:55 pm

miked wrote:Slots in the top outboard wishbones is not ideal in my opinion. TTR did it to a car I own. Over a savage bump on the NC500 I obtained a more dramatic camber on nearside wheel. Admittedly they had too much adjustment. Not my doing.
I set up properly level and used the camber gauge to find the proper postion. Tacked washers and checked again. Then committed to full weld and repaint. Sorted.

I have worried about this without slotted wishbones as the ball joints TTR supply are holed to , if I recall, M8, whilst the wishbones are 1/4", I believe.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: