adjustable S4 top arms wanted

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:01 am

Still looking for top adjustable arms for an S4.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 pm

TTR has them. Very expensive and price does not include rod ends. Unless I read it wrong it looks like about $1000 US dollars for a set including rod ends. I got a quote from Trik Bits and their price was similar.. It doesn't seem like they would be that hard to fabricate and maybe cost effective if a number of sets were made.
Chris :)
Last edited by seniorchristo on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Spyder do tubular ones, seem to be a good price as well... See here http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-elan- ... uspension/
Cost around ?550 for a full set upper and lower with rod ends + post plus dreaded VAT unless export of course
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Alan
Spyder says their adjustable wishbones are for "competition use only". I would assume this is because there is no compliance in the rod ends. If only upper arms were used you should still be able to get the necessary adjustment. Spyder offers front upper adjustable wishbones at 60 pounds per pair. They offer adapters for using bushings at 40 pounds each. Bushings are 8.50 each. So roughly about 310 pounds ($475) for a set of upper adjustable arms with bushings. Do spyder suspension parts fir original Lotus Chassis'?
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:11 pm

James, Chris & Alan,

I have fitted spyder tubular upper non adjustable front wishbones to my Lotus chassis. They seem to fit fine but the car is not back on the road so can't be absolutely sure there is no problem.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:13 pm

seniorchristo wrote:Alan
Spyder says their adjustable wishbones are for "competition use only". I would assume this is because there is no compliance in the rod ends. If only upper arms were used you should still be able to get the necessary adjustment. Spyder offers front upper adjustable wishbones at 60 pounds per pair. They offer adapters for using bushings at 40 pounds each. Bushings are 8.50 each. So roughly about 310 pounds ($475) for a set of upper adjustable arms with bushings. Do spyder suspension parts fir original Lotus Chassis'?

Yes they fit the folded metal Getrag (Lotus) chassis, all the suspension pick up points are identical between Spyder Spaceframe and folded metal chassis.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Forgot to mention that I have Spyder upper adjustables on my S4, although it uses Sierra hubs it's basically the same item, works great and is very stable at speed.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Alan
Do your upper arms use the rod ends or the rubber bushings? If they use the rod ends do you notice a harsher ride?
Thanks,
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:04 pm

They use the rod ends, but it's a good ride. All set up pretty firm, but well damped.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 am

For the 26R Lotus brutally chopped off the inboard end, brazed in a threaded tube and "Bingo" adjustable suspension! Probably better for road use with the rubber bushing option. You might want to check the price at Canley Classics for some of these bits...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 am

Spyder fan wrote:Yes they fit the folded metal Getrag (Lotus) chassis

I don't understand the reference to Getrag in the context of the standard Elan chassis. Gartrac perhaps?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:54 am

Gartrac make the original elan chassis for Lotus. You cannot buy direct from them, great workmanship.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:26 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:Yes they fit the folded metal Getrag (Lotus) chassis

I don't understand the reference to Getrag in the context of the standard Elan chassis. Gartrac perhaps?

Simple brain fade, it's my age! Getrag make some nice gearboxes.

Gartrac make the folded metal chassis originally for Lotus and now for Miles Wilkins (I believe, but that could be a another brain fart!)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:14 pm

The only problem with these adjustable wishbones is that they have to be removed each time they need adjusting. So the initial set up could result in a lot of bolting and unbolting until you get it right :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:40 pm

stevebroad wrote:The only problem with these adjustable wishbones is that they have to be removed each time they need adjusting. So the initial set up could result in a lot of bolting and unbolting until you get it right :-)

Whereas non adjustables are fit once and forget about adjustment? :mrgreen:

Okay, so I have jacked up the car removed the wheels and there's nothing to adjust or get wrong? What am I going to do on the weekends? The cars are polished within an inch of their lives, the local kids think I'm obsessed with microfibre cloths and Swissvax Carnuba No1 ..... If I have a C spanner in my hand to play with the ride height adjustment on the spring perches and a ball joint splitter to play with the adjustable wishbones they think I'm an F1 engineer on his holiday.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: