Plus 2 Alloy Wheels

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:04 am

Morning all - I Just 'won' four Lotus Alloys to add to the five I've already got, some of which need serious work. With my original five I got three or four steel inserts which fit between the wheel and the spinner, the new four doesn't seem to have them. So a couple of questions:
1. Do the wheels need the inserts, does anyone run their wheels without them?
2. If (as I suspect) they are needed does anyone know of a supplier?
Looking forwards to the replies!
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Did you search? :roll:

I did (knock on wheel ring) and at first attempt got this!

lotus-suspension-f42/alloy-wheel-collar-needed-t25785.html

That will help start your pending confusion...... :wink:
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 pm

I originally had Nader nuts for my alloys that said "steel wheel only". And while I never experienced any trouble with these nuts, I didn't like it that they misrepresented the wheels, and I found some that did not say that. Now I am running those and still no problem with the wheels staying on with the nut. However, what I have found to be an issue is that my hub which originally sported steel wheels had short pegs and you have to have the longer pegs that go with any of the alloy Lotus or otherwise wheels. I found that the pegs would drift out into the wheel because the hole is deep enough in the wheel to allow that to happen. I now made longer pegs for the wheels and have found no problems with any looseness--I do you have that big socket that is available for the Nader nuts to confirm that I'm getting the right torque on it. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:43 am

Gordon Sauer wrote:However, what I have found to be an issue is that my hub which originally sported steel wheels had short pegs and you have to have the longer pegs that go with any of the alloy Lotus or otherwise wheels. I found that the pegs would drift out into the wheel because the hole is deep enough in the wheel to allow that to happen.

Huh, interesting because the drive peg holes in the steel wheels are infinitely deep.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Afternoon all
Roy - yes I had searched; the thread you linked to didn't answer either of my questions - I.e do you need them and who can supply them today.
As for the pegs drifting out into the wheel holes - if they do you have a problem with he hub because they are an interference fit so either the peg is scrap or the hub hole is worn out. I could understand the alloy being wrongly positioned and pushing the drive pegs back into the hub as you can't see them when fitting an alloy.
Anyway onwards and upwards
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Matt Elan wrote:do you need them and who can supply them today.

If you had Minilite wheels I can tell you that you absolutely need the thrust rings. Without them the knock on nuts would bottom on the hub threads before the wheel become secure. I suspect the same is true with the Lotus alloy wheels and you can easily test this yourself. Just install one wheel without the thrust ring. You will probably be able to feel that the wheel is still loose on the hub when the nut is fully run up. If you can tighten the wheel without the thrust ring I suspect that the wheel would deform under the nut over time and become loose. You might try Minilite to see if their current thrust rings would fit on the Lotus wheel. I have a feeling that Minilite might have copied the design of the Lotus-supplied thrust ring, pure speculation though.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks Russ - good suggestion. I've check the hubs and wheels tomorrow....
Cheers
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Matt

If you could post some pictures of the wheels it would help to identify if you need centres of not.

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:40 am

Matt Elan wrote:the thread you linked to didn't answer either of my questions - I.e do you need them and who can supply them today.

I did say this, "That will help start your pending confusion" :wink:

Matt Elan wrote:As for the pegs drifting out into the wheel holes - if they do you have a problem with he hub because they are an interference fit so either the peg is scrap or the hub hole is worn out.

That was the advantage of the earlier type of peg which had a thin 'head' on the inside of the hub. I had a full set turned up by a neighbour after I lost a couple and the only ones that I could source at the time from Len Street in Chelsea were the later parallel ones which were far too lose in the hub.

We made sure that they were a good press fit in the hub and with a touch of Loctite they have not fallen out again. Obviously the part of the peg in the wheel is standard size.

As for the spinner seating rings, I would hope that Minilite would be able to supply.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:13 am

Matt Elan wrote:Morning all - I Just 'won' four Lotus Alloys to add to the five I've already got, some of which need serious work. With my original five I got three or four steel inserts which fit between the wheel and the spinner, the new four doesn't seem to have them. So a couple of questions:
1. Do the wheels need the inserts, does anyone run their wheels without them?
2. If (as I suspect) they are needed does anyone know of a supplier?
Looking forwards to the replies!
Matt

I have 4 original inserts old stock in my garage which i could sell to you if you like.
<[email protected]>
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Alan
You have a pm (and an email!)
regards
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:53 am

hi Matt,
i have sent reply by E-mail.
Imho you need an insert for each Wheel, which in an interference fit in the Alloy Wheel. If you start removing inserts in wheels and move them from Wheel to Wheel you will loose the interference fit
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:27 am

Morning all - at long last I've got out on the drive to test fit the spinners/hubs/wheels. First off I wound a spinner onto a bare hub. It took 9.5 turns to bottom out on the threads:

DSC00787.jpg
DSC00787.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 985 times

Then fitting the hub to wheel, there are about 6 threads showing:

DSC00789.jpg
DSC00789.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 985 times

and screwing on the spinner takes about 5.5 turns to clamp onto the wheel:

Here the threads are just starting:

DSC00791.jpg
DSC00791.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 985 times

...and here is the spinner on after 5.5 turns:

DSC00792 (600 x 450).jpg and

So unlike the Minilites you don't need the inserts to take up any slack in the fixing system; but that was certainly a valid suggestion.

So I think I can conclude that they are needed to act as a barrier between the soft alloy of the wheel and the steel of the spinner. I also suspect that they also have the correct taper on them to allow a suitable clamping area for the spinner to nestle into.

Thanks for all the replies; its been a useful and informative thread as usual!

Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

on my +2s130 Lotus Alloy wheels i painted the back and also where the tyre fits with a paint for alloy Radiators.
It's special for alloy and very r?sistent.
My +2s130 now lives in the Caribean/ West Indies on the French Island of Guadelope in the Sun
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: