S4 Ride Height & Suspension Tightening

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Having re-bushed all my suspension joints with new rubber bushes I now need to finally tighten all the wishbone nuts and bolts. My intention is to carefully jack up the car and support it under the front and rear wishbones as near to the wheels as possible and spread the load with wooden blocks so as not to stress or damage anything. I would then remove all the wheels and this will give good access to all the nuts/bolts for tightening. Is it worthwhile adding a bit of extra weight in the seating area to simulate someone sitting in the car so that the suspension is compressed a bit more.
Is the above a good idea as I can't see an alternative to be able to access all the suspension points?
Also, with my car on the ground the distance under the sill is 6 1./4" and the adjustable spring platforms are at their lowest positions. Is there an ideal ride height for road cars?
Many thanks for any comments.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:09 am

I used a similar technique last time I did the job using wood to spread the load under the wishbones and going as close as possible to the wheels. After removing the wheels I used axle stands on all 4 corners because it seemed safer than heaving on bolts whilst the car was only on the jack.

The manual says "at ride height", I'm sure I've even read the the specified weight of the driver somewhere :D

But it will make a difference, how much probably depends on the spring rates you're using. Does the car sink downwards a significant amount when you get in ? If so, you need some weight in there. Mine doesn't so I just tightened it up as it was.

As for ride height, mine is adjusted so the bottom wishbone is horizontal, I'm not sure what that came to as far as clearances go.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: