bump stop lenght - Sprint

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:50 pm

rgh0 wrote:Assuming these bump stops are similar spring rate when cut to the original Aeon rubber springs then I personally would cut them to be about 20 mm longer than the original rubber springs so they come into play a little earlier in a corner

I presume you mean you have ordered 125 lb/in rear springs not 125 lbft?. At 125 lb/in these are certainly stiff for normal road use and are at the very hard end for road use or the soft end for racing use.

If you do have these stiff rear springs then you also need to upgrade your front springs to match the stiffer rears - maybe 150 to 180 lb/in fronts and a bigger diameter roll bar around 7/8 inch / 22 mm.

This total combination will give you great balanced handling that works well with modern sticky tyres ( and will keep you up with a modern Elise in most corners) but you will loose much of the original supple ride and you will want smooth roads to drive on.

cheers
Rohan

As I said in the above post that if going with 125 lb/in rears I would also do the other mods above to get balance handling.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mariodschy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm

rgh0 wrote:
rgh0 wrote:
If you do have these stiff rear springs then you also need to upgrade your front springs to match the stiffer rears - maybe 150 to 180 lb/in fronts and a bigger diameter roll bar around 7/8 inch / 22 mm.

As I said in the above post that if going with 125 lb/in rears I would also do the other mods above to get balance handling.

cheers
Rohan

Does you think the 140 lb/in are too little and i better go to 150 maybe 160?
Changing the a/r bar i'll try to avoid, the first intention was only to adjust the ride high -> where should it end :roll: ....
- 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint LHD/DHC
- 1962 Austin Healey Sprite MK II - Sold 09.05.2016

Sorry for my bad survival English ;-)
mariodschy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I prefer to keep the ratio of spring rates around the same ratio front to rear thus the 150 to 180 lb/in recommendation for the front when using a 125 lb/in rear spring.

If all you wanted was adjustable ride height and did not want to change the handling and ride characteristics I would just return the current 125 lb/in springs you have and get some small diameter ones of standard rate and length and leave the rest of the suspension alone.

If you want stiffer handling with characteristics that suit modern high grip tyres and is more suitable to track days than for relaxed road cruising then you need to go to the stiffer suspension but you need to do as a complete front and rear set of changes if you want it to work.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mariodschy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:18 am

If talked with paul, now i change the front springs i go to 150lbs, this means:
Front: 150lbs
Rear: 125lbs

First i'll try this setup with the original AR Bar, if its not ok it can be changed very easy...
Thanks to let me know your experience and for your support :D
- 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint LHD/DHC
- 1962 Austin Healey Sprite MK II - Sold 09.05.2016

Sorry for my bad survival English ;-)
mariodschy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: