Tyres tyres tyres and more ......tyres

PostPost by: au-yt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 am

Classic cars and old style tyres cause owners lots of grief so I recon an on going tread on tyres would be a big help to all.

For my 71 Sprint the tyres with virtually no tread wear ore 12 years old. and they need replacing.
I have been recommended (by a Tyre shop) Michelin Energy XM2,s
Besides XAS FFs whats everyone else using recommend?
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 am

Have put a set of 155 80 13 Dunlop SP Street Response on my car. Can't give you any real life review of them as the car isn't MOT'd at the moment. The online performance data seems pretty good for all round use - low noise good in wet or dry conditions and cheap as chips too!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 am

I like Uniroyal Rain Experts. They're part of the Continental group and I find them very good. I have them on my daily driver and on the Elan. Great in the wet which is normal weather for the west of Ireland!! :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 am

elanfan1 wrote:Have put a set of 155 80 13 Dunlop SP Street Response on my car.

Ive got these on my alloys (well 175 x75 r13 on a +2)

I have Khumo kh17 (again 175 x 75 r13) on the steels

I have found them to both be very good......although I don't think I particularly push the tyre anywhere near its limits....they work well in all conditions.......again.. although I adjust my driving to suit the conditions....

I don't tend to drive my cars like theyre either stolen or hired......just with 'spirit'..... :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:29 am

Thanks guys, There is a lesser selection of tyres in Australia, Michelin energy XML2 is is available at the original Sprint Size 155 x 80 but only at T rating, There are other brands but none I have been able to find is rated at higher speed rating.
Brands I have located in Australia
Michelin xm2 79T
Goodride SP06 79T
Toyo extensa 79S
Rotalla F102 79T
Trazano 79Q
BCT S
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 am

I spent a bit of time on this site recently whilst looking for tyres.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

If the tyres I've bought, but not yet tried, are no good I've decided to get some Vredestein Sprints sent out from the UK.
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:36 am

I have Continental - Contact 165/80 13 R on the Plus 2. Mainly because we used Continental tyres a lot when I was working at Jaguar/Aston Martin so I was able to get them discounted.

Prior to this I had Dunlop Sport 165/70 13 but I preferred the tighter look around the wheelarch with the 80's than the look of the lower profile tyres.

Surprised 'Continental' brands make is not readily available in Aus.

Regards

Steve
Attachments
Lotus Plus 2.jpg and
DSCF5286.JPG and
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 am

I note that the original enquirer (au-yt, whoever you are) mentions the speed rating of the tyres and this bothered me too. In the UK there are quite a few tyres available in size 155/80 x 13, but very few of them are above T-rating (max 118 mph or 190 kph), and in theory that isn't suitable for an Elan. Again in theory, an MOT tester could fail the car on those tyres. Now I know that no-one is going to get up to those speeds on today's roads, but "in theory" it is incorrect.

I bought the Vredestein Sprint for my Elan Sprint (how appropriate :D ) which is available at an H-rating (max 130 mph or 210 kph). My car isn't ready for the road yet so I can't comment on performance of the tyre but the price was very reasonable.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 am

Has anyone used the following tyre - Michelin XAS FF

Expensive at around ?150 each (yes ?750 for a full set!) but wondering if the extra expense is worth it.
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:25 am

The brands in the last post are all only 155 80 13's
Continental tires are available here and the major brands are available in Australia, however not in the size I need.
I could change the rims but I don't plan to deviate from original unless its absolutely necessary.
I see from my Goolating that there are quite a few winter tyres in the 155 80 13, are these any softer than the summer tyres?
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:31 am

Winter tyres typically have a softer rubber compound so it grips better at low temperature, they should give good grip at normal Australian road temperature and use. At high temperatures and with track style cornering they wear rather quickly and may feel to soft but this is probably not as issue for an Elan used on the roads these days.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 am

I use to have 4 Michelin XAS.

Because the paralelism on my car was poorly done, I ruined my front tyres on a single trip.

I had to replace the 2 front tires so I bought Vredestein Sprint.

The vredestein sprint cost 3 times less than XAS

But I have to say that when I press the brake pedal it often happen now to lock the front wheels. I am not really happy with these tires as they re much harder compound than my XAS = less grip for cornering and for braking...

But the XAS are sooo expensive. I might fit XAS again though.... :mrgreen:
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Pistacchio sprint 72 wrote:I use to have 4 Michelin XAS.

Because the paralelism on my car was poorly done, I ruined my front tyres on a single trip.

I had to replace the 2 front tires so I bought Vredestein Sprint.

The vredestein sprint cost 3 times less than XAS

But I have to say that when I press the brake pedal it often happen now to lock the front wheels. I am not really happy with these tires as they re much harder compound than my XAS = less grip for cornering and for braking...

But the XAS are sooo expensive. I might fit XAS again though.... :mrgreen:

What are the rears wearing like ie how long do you think they will last?
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:10 pm

I will have a look at them tonight and will let you know.

Happy with the rear wheels behviour. These tyres offer much grip so I am never scared to see the back of the car passing me. They don't squeal neither when you are cornering.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:18 am

Porsche test tires for older cars... all the time..Interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW824uj-SC0

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: