Trunnion fit

PostPost by: JK1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi Gary
Many thanks indeed for the advice on a reliable source for vertical links. I ordered a LH vertical link, trunnion and two trunnion bush kits from TD Fitchett the Triumph supplier and can confirm that I am 100% satisfied with the product quality in terms of fit. There is no play whatsoever in the link when the trunnion is fitted in its installation position. The trunnion bush kit is also a major improvement when compared to the previous products sourced from various Lotus suppliers. As previously identified the sleeve was a problem insofar as the internal diameter was excessive and resulted in an unacceptable degree of movement around the trunnion bolt which surely would have merited an MOT failure I have also replaced the recently fitted Lotus trunnion bush kit on the right hand side of the vehicle and happily have arrived at a a position where I am finally satisfied with the front suspension having just about replaced everything. I am seriously unhappy, however, that it has taken the best part of a year to resolve this problem and that I have had to return products at my own expense to three different Lotus suppliers. Thanks to Gary and TD Fitchett on this one and I hope that our experience is helpful to other Lotus owners.

JK1
JK1
New-tral

PostPost by: JK1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi Gary
Many thanks indeed for the advice on a reliable source for vertical links. I ordered a LH vertical link, trunnion and two trunnion bush kits from TD Fitchett the Triumph supplier and can confirm that I am 100% satisfied with the product quality in terms of fit. There is no play whatsoever in the link when the trunnion is fitted in its installation position. The trunnion bush kit is also a major improvement when compared to the previous products sourced from various Lotus suppliers. As previously identified the sleeve was a problem insofar as the internal diameter was excessive and resulted in an unacceptable degree of movement around the trunnion bolt which surely would have merited an MOT failure I have also replaced the recently fitted Lotus trunnion bush kit on the right hand side of the vehicle and happily have arrived at a a position where I am finally satisfied with the front suspension having just about replaced everything. I am seriously unhappy, however, that it has taken the best part of a year to resolve this problem and that I have had to return products at my own expense to three different Lotus suppliers. Thanks to Gary and TD Fitchett on this one and I hope that our experience is helpful to other Lotus owners.

JK1
JK1
New-tral

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:12 am

Dear all this is an interesting post for me as I'm in the process of over hauling my front suspension.
My trunnions were replaced many years ago by a friend but the car had not been used so many years later and only a few hundred miles I'm looking at them again. I can see movement where screwed onto the vertical and am wondering how much would be considered too much. My next step will be to measure it , but i'd estimate 1mm as its clearly visible.

Thanks for any advice.
Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Concrete-crusher wrote:Dear all this is an interesting post for me as I'm in the process of over hauling my front suspension.
My trunnions were replaced many years ago by a friend but the car had not been used so many years later and only a few hundred miles I'm looking at them again. I can see movement where screwed onto the vertical and am wondering how much would be considered too much. My next step will be to measure it , but i'd estimate 1mm as its clearly visible.

Thanks for any advice.
Steve

Steve

Wondering how much is too much?
That really is leading question!
The answer seems to be down to the MOT man at the end.

When a manufacturer makes engineered components there is usually a tolerance specified by the customer, and there are national and international tolerances for fits and finishes of shafts, holes and threads etc. Since the original car manufacturer is no longer involved there does not seem to be anybody responsible for the parts quality.

Regarding the actual fit of this particular part (male upright thread in female trunnion), whilst various amounts of play have been mentioned in this topic the numbers are only relevant if the method of measurement is given and in which direction.

From a safety point of view the most important play is in the axial direction, as the flanks of the threads wear the amount of metal supporting the weight of the car gradually reduces until the threads actually strip. I can imagine that even if there was a lot of axial wear (and say 1mm of axial movement) the steering geometry would not be compromised by a measurable amount. However, in all probability by the time there is that much axial play there will be quite a lot of lateral movement which would be noticeable by the MOT tester.

In which direction is the 1mm you mentions visible?

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks Ian , reading your post I decided to dismantle them , this is what I found , the left hand trunnion showed the movement but the thread looks ok (Maybe) the right hand trunnion showed no movement but the thread looks worn and corroded away at the base. so my view is to replace the right hand link but I'm not sure about the left link ?

pictures attached.

Steve
Attachments
right-side-link.jpg and
left-side-link.jpg and
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Replace both. They are both well past the end of their safe service life. They should be bright shiny and smooth with no visible wear and certainly no corrosion.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: