Knocking on Rear Suspension

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 pm

The S3 elan we recently bought has a loud knocking on the drivers side rear corner.

Stripped it down and fitted new Lotocone as existing one appeared different to a new one (see photo )LHD one is the old cone.

Reassembled but metallic knock is still there, not had time to have a good look round but any suggestions what may be the cause.

Car felt as though it wandered at rear before fitting new Lotocone. Not been out since fitting new cone.

Hope to get chance tomorrow.

TonyR

image.jpg and
Lotocones
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Maybe check the bushings in the wishbones. Is it on acceleration in a straight line, or when turning, or going over rough road sections...
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:04 pm

shocker loose in strut tube?
diff hitting chasisis / broken top diff mount?
exhaust hitting chassis ?
lots of possible causes!

Need to see if you can identify in what circumstances it happens and dig around like you say to find whats loose that could be causing it

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:50 pm

What kind of dampers and springs do you have? Any movement at the top of the strut. My new TT dampers kept knocking as they were a couple of mm loose. They are meant to be impact wrench tightened, but in the end needed gripping and tightening by hand. Also, narrower springs can knock against the damper (mine do) which is apparently an annoying feature but OK.

Good luck!
Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. We stripped down the strut and found the AVO damper insert is moving about even though the nut was tight!

It looks as though a slim spacer/ washer should resolve this or a new nut with a greater depth.

There was also no oil in the strut tube although I can't see that helping remove the movement.

TonyR
Last edited by tonyr27 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Also, narrower springs can knock against the damper (mine do) which is apparently an annoying feature but OK

+1

Dave M..
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:05 am

Sounds like you found the issue.

I had a knocking that had me looking. Ended up being the bottom of the strut tube, the metal cap at the bottom had rusted right through and was not stopping the shock from going further down the tube.

We had to replace both struts. I have the old struts. some day I will have someone weld an aluminum cap over the bottom on the two struts..
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: