Just for Kiwi Elan owners

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:10 am

For the Kiwi Elan owners here, what 155 tyres are you using ?

I'm having all sorts of hassle trying to find something that wasn't designed for Granny's around town shopping car.
The tyres I've found so far seem to be rock hard and designed to last as long as possible rather than give any decent level of grip.
This manifests itself in a very uncertain, squirrelly type of handling, even on a straight road.
I did have some BF Goodrich TAs which were fine, now of course they don't make them except in 165s.
Lots of the recommended tyres are only available offshore so this question is aimed at Kiwis who have actually purchased some tyres recently.
Cheers,
Ralph.
Napier.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 am

this is a long shot but i bought some "Dunlop SP Aquajet" tyres from Vintage Tyres in the UK.
They are marked Made in New Zealand to NZS 5452 and are 155 x 13 on my Sprint.
They are very soft and just right for an Elan.
What a pity i didn't have your address when i was viisting NZ this time last Year
Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks Alan,
I'll chase up Dunlop and see what they have to say.
I suspect though it'll be along the lines of " sorry, we don't sell those in NZ ".
I remember Aquajets, they were an excellent wet weather tyre, (hence the name), and were equally good in the dry though not that long lasting.

Yep, give me a call next time you come this way.
Cheers.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Try Vredestein Sprint +. They're H rated at 130 MPH. About $90 USD.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJ908 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Hello Ralph

Aquajets! I have tried a number of different tyres over the years but none seem to both suit the car and the road surfaces we have here in New Zealand as well as aquajets. It might surprise the folk in other parts of the world that some tyres developed for their road conditions do not necessarily work so well down (up of course for we are on top of the world) here.

I picked up a pair of aquajets in Christchurch fairly recently but have not checked to see when or where they were made.

Best of luck with your search and if you do find something that are as good as the aquajet let me know.

Robert
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: