Plus 2 Front Suspension Refurbish

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm planning to strip and refurbish the front suspension on my recently acquired Plus 2.

My plan is to re bush wishbones and anti roll bar, powder coat wishbones, check trunnions and replace ball joints.

Looking for suggestions as to which springs and dampers to use, existing are red but mainly rust in colour.

Any other suggestions for what to check while doing this work.

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm very happy with my Tony Thompson spings and dampers (purchased through Sue Miller).

After previous ventures into spings and dampers the above just felt 'right' as soon as I went for my first drive with them.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:10 am

Hi Peter,

I am interested in TTR front suspension on my +2 as have fitted TTR springs etc on the rears, but before I do I would like to have an idea how the car would sit as well as so many +2's look like they are on steroids at the front having had new springs.

Could I ask you to tell me the height from the ground to wheel arch lip.

If you could it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 am

My TTR springs and dampers are adjustable for spring height, so ride height is whatever you might want.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 am

[quote[quote="peterako"]I'm very happy with my Tony Thompson spings and dampers (purchased through Sue Miller).

After previous ventures into spings and dampers the above just felt 'right' as soon as I went for my first drive with them.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I reckon the TT ones are what I will go for.
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:39 pm

:)

I went for workshop ride height (I thing 6 - 6.5") at crossmember.....this is a measly 4 or so inches exhaust clearance! :shock:

Car sits nice and level with about 'three fingers' breadth clearance at the wheel arch.

They are adjustable, so as has been said before....ride height of your choice.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. I measured the distance from Chassis cross member to ground and its roughly 7.25". That would seem about an inch to high. May its time for new springs for Christmas.

All the best.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Tony

I used Protech dampers when I rebuilt my +2's front suspension. These were recommended to me by Spyder. Alloy bodied, adjustable seats, adjustable damping, competitive price. I've been very happy with them.

As usual no connection, just a satisfied customer.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 am

Hi,

I have TTR insert at rear with original springs (no adjustable height), and Protech at front with adjustable height.

First: only measure ride height when car is settled, which will take a couple of miles/days.

Protech on front are of good quality, but it did not have a positive effect on ride quality. It is a big difference compared to the original Armstrong shocks. However they do limit roll and they are good for track use.

The ride height in front will have a big effect on weight distribution/corner weight. When I first set the front too low, my car became much oversteered and it was very difficult to control back end when driving on the edge,

/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:00 pm

TonyR

If your oroginal shocks were painted red, it just possible they might be Koni Classics. If that's the case (and assuming you haven't already bought new ones) you might want to consider getting them rebuilt/refurbished. Konis were very good shocks but sadly they're no longer available.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks again for the advice.

Just before Christmas I bought a pair of TT comfort damper & springs. Started strip down, going to get the wishbones powder coated and generally tidy up the calipers etc.

Andy I think the existing pair are Koni, might put them on EBay, they're a little rusty but I believe the dampers are ok.

Can anyone advise me if the Spyder tubular wishbones utilise the same bushes as the original Plus 2 ones?

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: