Hanging lotocone bolts

PostPost by: Dave240 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 pm

I was stripping my chassis this weekend and had a bit of a problem with the centre lotocone bolts that are placed in with the head down and held in by a nut at the top.

The PO installed aftermarket universal joints to replace the old donuts. I don't have a photo, but basically there is a adapter plate sandwiched between the diff output shafts and the U-joints. I removed the U-joints but left the adapter plates bolted to the diff. The plates made it impossible to slide the centre locotone bolts down and out. After checking to see how expensive they were to replace, I decided to cut them off, rather than struggle to remove the adapter plates.

Now my question is, when I put everything back together, is there any danger to replacing the bolt upside down, so that the head is at the top? I'm sure it was designed the other way for a reason, but I'm not sure what harm this may cause if I flipped them.
69 Elan +2 - Currently in as many pieces as physically possible
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Elan or +2?

in the plus two you cannot get them out once the body is on, the fuel tank is in the way.

ask me how I know..............
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Sorry, the car is in fact a +2.
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Well, I advise you leave them the way they are, the lesser PITA
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Should the nuts be spot welded to the chassis?

If not, from what was said, I don't see how it helps to fit them from underneath.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

I thought the same as Bill. Shouldn't they be spot welded to the chassis ?

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I believe that they are spot welded on a Spyder chassis, but not on an original Lotus chassis (but I may be wrong :lol: )
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 pm

I assume Dave means the diff mounts not the lotacones?

It is best the diff mounting bolts are installed with the nut on the top as the will enable you to remove the diff without removing the petrol tank,should the need arise. On a +2 that is. Is it that difficult to remove the U/J plate, it's only three bolts.
From my experience the lotacone mounting nuts are welded to the chassis on both Lotus and Spyder versions.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, I think some of us are talking about different things! For the record Lotocones are the rubber mounts at the top of the rear strut assemblies.

I think most of you are talking about Diff mounts?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:59 pm

elanman999 wrote:I assume Dave means the diff mounts not the lotacones?

It is best the diff mounting bolts are installed with the nut on the top as the will enable you to remove the diff without removing the petrol tank,should the need arise. On a +2 that is. Is it that difficult to remove the U/J plate, it's only three bolts.
From my experience the lotacone mounting nuts are welded to the chassis on both Lotus and Spyder versions.
Cheers
John

That's for clarifying that John, you are correct. They are the diff mount bolts. Thanks for the lesson, I'm still learning!

That makes sense. I've never seen my +2 with a fuel tank in it, so I wouldn't have figured it out. Looks like I'll remove the adapter plates and mount the bolts upside down as Lotus intended! Thanks for all the responses!
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: