Poly bushes or original type for the front?

PostPost by: Johnfm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am

Bought some poly bushes - but sent them back as they weren't playing the 'get into the damn hole' game.

Are poly bushes worth the extra ??? or should I just plump for a set of the old type from SJ Sportscars?
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Not sure where I got my last Rubber Bushes from, but it was from one of the reputable sources.

The fell apart quite quickly so have been with Poly's ever since.

Are the that much more expensive??

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Johnfm » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:15 pm

peterako wrote:Not sure where I got my last Rubber Bushes from, but it was from one of the reputable sources.

The fell apart quite quickly so have been with Poly's ever since.

Are the that much more expensive??

Peter

Standard originals are circa ?40 delivered. Seperflex Poly bushes are double that.

Opinion seems divided - but I am happy to use original rubber, as long as I can press them in.

My mech needed 12 tons to press the old ones out.
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm using Superflex blue poly bushes and didn't find it hard to get them in the holes. Use a vice (I use my Workmate - seems appropriate given the designer), plenty of the special lubricant supplied, and they easily distort and slip into place. Then press in the stainless insert the same way. I've had them for years on my MGB GTV8 and they show no sign of deterioration.
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:59 pm

I've used rubber, TTR poly bushes and Autobush poly bushes. I prefer the TTR as they are stiffer, but expensive. Autobush are ok, price is right, but very soft. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Johnfm wrote:Bought some poly bushes - but sent them back as they weren't playing the 'get into the damn hole' game.

Are poly bushes worth the extra ??? or should I just plump for a set of the old type from SJ Sportscars?

Get the OEM style bushings with the goldish outer sleeve from your favorite Lotus parts supplier.
The bushings you are replacing are probably the originals making them something like 42 years old at the very least and as you have observed they are not some soft squishy bushing. Poly bushings are more expensive and offer nothing in terms of improvement over simply replacing old bushings with good quality new ones.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Johnfm » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 am

I have ordered the original bushes - but I am now a bit concerned that my wishbones have been repaired int eh past. THe welding on one wishbones doesn't go all the way around the interface between the wishbone and the tube where the bush goes. So it either left the factory like this, or they have been repalced by a not very thorough welder.
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: