How many brackets on the Elan +2 steering column?

PostPost by: Johnfm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 am

My 1967 only has one bracket fixing the outer column to a metal bar under the instruments quite close to the steering wheel end.

I would have expected a second bracket close to where the column goes through the bulkhead - but there isn't one.

Should there be? The parts diagram seems to show one (part #5).
http://www.rdent.com/manuals/plus2/steering/hb.htm

I also note that part #25 is some sort of seal. I can see daylight through the bulkhead - there being about 3-4mm clearance at the bulkhead. I reckon I have the seal missing.

1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 am

My late bodied Plus 2 has a second bracket near to the bulkhead, just in front of the handbrake switch mounting point.

To 'seal' the steering clumn, here is (should be) a metal plate covering a rubber seal. On my car the plate was vertical and only covered the steering column, but I rotated it slightly so that they handbrake cable passed through the second hole. Sue Miller sells replacement steering column rubber gaskets (didn't need the plate so don't know whether she sells those as well) but I ended up making my own gasket out of 3mm rubber mat bought from eBay.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:54 am

John,
My early +2 only has the one bracket as indicated in the link. However it is quite near the dash just under the most forward part of the switch cover.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: