S1 Springs/Shocks/Brakes Suggestions

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Looking for suggestions on replacing my springs, dampers/shocks, brakes (pad and rotors). This is for my S1 rebuild that is a stock rebuild except for alternator and CVs. The car will simply be for tooling around on the street/back roads, no track.

Also, considering the car sat for 30 years before I tackled it, along with replacing my pads/rotors and all lines etc, how do we feel about cleaning up the calipers rather than buying new ones?
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 pm

I'd stick with the stock set-up.

Calipers - check everything for condition (the pistons rust)- seal kits aren't expensive might be all you need. If they need more work
Rebuild the rears yourself - I don't think there is such a thing as 'new ones' and the referb is expensive.
Fronts - In the UK we have classicar automotive who refurb them and it is just not worth doing yourself.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

If you have the original type 12 calipers on your S1 and you're getting new/reconditioned you might want to consider upgrading to type 14 as fitted to S2 onwards which make quite a difference. You don't need to change the discs.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 pm

For brakes I'm most likely planning to just use my original stock and replace the seals and pistons. I ordered new seals, pistons, pads and rotors for the rear yesterday. Fronts will be dealt with when I get to working on that part!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: