S3 Rear wheel slide

PostPost by: Morangles » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:15 am

Hi everyone,

I took my 1967 Elan series 3 DHC out for a drive the other day and everything went fine, except for the journey back home which took place under light drizzle, For the first time the rear wheels of the car slid as I was driving up a right hand slip road onto a motorway and I got the impression that if I had been going any faster {I was doing 30km/h) that the car could have done a 180 degree spin. I experienced the same problem also at low speed driving round a bend which was also to the right.
The road was slightly damp, so this might have been the problem, but I drove back across Europe last year in very wet conditions and had no trouble and have also replaced the tyres..So I was wondering whether this might be a problem linked to worn donuts (which I can't inspect without getting the nuts and bolts off) or whether I should be searching somewhere else?
Thanks for any advice you might have.
Philip
Attachments
Rallye-JEC-2013-21-1.jpg and
Morangles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Diesel on the road? Comes to the surface when it rains.

Old tyres? Tyre pressures out? Years ago I found a NOS set of Dunlop SP Sports, they weren't too bad in the dry but in the wet I would tiptoe around because there was no grip.

Worn bushing?

Good luck!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:32 pm

My initial thoughts would be road surface or tyre pressures
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:53 pm

This happened to me with severely worn bearings. Whatever the cause, it sounds like a sudden change in toe on one side. Mine did spin right round at relatively low speed. :shock:

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Mazzini wrote:Diesel on the road? Comes to the surface when it rains.

Old tyres? Tyre pressures out? Years ago I found a NOS set of Dunlop SP Sports, they weren't too bad in the dry but in the wet I would tiptoe around because there was no grip.

Worn bushing?

Good luck!

I hate to see people using NOS tyres for anything other than static displays. They are lethal. Besides the rubber hardening to reduce grip, the internal aging can often result in delamination with catastrophic results. :shock:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:00 pm

[/quote]
I hate to see people using NOS tyres for anything other than static displays. They are lethal. Besides the rubber hardening to reduce grip, the internal aging can often result in delamination with catastrophic results. :shock:[/quote]

:lol: I know that now! Twenty-five years ago I was at the bottom of that learning curve :lol:
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Twenty-five years ago I guess I was too! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm

yep, tyres without a doubt. Elans are very skittish on old tyres, especially in the wet. Even cheap modern tyres are vastly superior to an old "as new" Dunlop SP sport.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm

In the UK we occasionaly get very local bad patches of asphalt which are lethal in the damp and wet with all tyres. You can't see them and in the dry they are normal.

There was one on my regular little chicane for years which I tamed in my (FWD) 205GTi but forgot that important difference one day when I slotted the Elan through in the wet with the same power management as the Pug i.e. applied the power while the rear wheels were still on the soap.

Maybe the EU has them too. :twisted:
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: