What size hook spanner for TTR shocks?

PostPost by: Steve S2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi,

I've fitted some Tony Thompson adjustable suspension to the front of my Plus 2. Does anyone know what size of Hook Spanner I need to adjust the spring shelves and set the ride height?

Cheers

Steve
Steve S2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 am

Hi Steve,
Tony Thompson will sell you a spanner for a ?5 or if you are tight like me you could knock one up yourself. :D
I don't know if all the TTR dampers are the same but mine have 65mm O/D adjuster nuts so it's a 65mm spanner - probably best to measure yours to make sure before you buy one though.

If you add your location to your profile there may be someone close by who could lend you a spanner.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve S2 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 am

I'm in Wallingford, Oxfordshire.

Thanks for the info. I'm not handy enough with the metalwork to knock one up for myself, I fear. TTR for ?5 seems pretty reasonable :)
Steve S2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:06 am

The old spanner from my Spax shocks works perfectly on the TTR fronts.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:59 pm

you can get adjustable hook spanners from tool stores that will fit a range of diameters. Also don't forget to undo the locking grub screw on the TTR front adjustable platforms before adjusting them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:47 am

Rohan,

I can't find any locking grub screw on my TT front damper assemblies. There's just the big locking collar at the bottom.

I found that they are bear to adjust because the entire unit wants to rotate rather than stay still while the perch is wound up or down (which, of course, suggests that the perch is locked to the thread!). But a few squirts of WD40 allowed the bottom of the spring to slip around on the perch.

I also struggled with the C spanner being too big and fouling the chassis turret. A few minutes with a grinding wheel removed enough of it to make it easier to use.

Gee, I hope I did this right.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Nick

I only found them on mine after the first time I adjusted them and had problems like you. They are very small diameter and very hard to see in the black adjustable seat edge on mine. But maybe TTR has deleted them and you don't have them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 pm

My TTR shocks are relatively new, and have the lock screw.

I assume that your are raising the front of the car/taking the weight off the shocks before adjusting? Mine have been very easy to adjust.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 am

Got the Elan up on axle stands this afternoon (>90f in Boston!) to check my facts. As mentioned, I adjust them with the suspension hanging.

I realized that my concern about the spring rotating while adjusting the perch was totally wrong. And I did a bit more fettling to my C spanner, so it fits even better. The net result is that the spring/dampers are indeed straightforward to adjust, as elancoupe mentioned. I don't really know why I struggled so much before. Duh.

However, after much inspection, still no sign of a locking grub screw. I checked the perch and locking collar very closely. A grub screw to lock things would be handy, because the locking collar doesn't seem to be particularly effective. The units were purchased from Sue Miller early this year.

Regardless, I have to say how much the new units improved the handling and, especially, the ride. The car is much smoother over rough surfaces. I never realized that the original units were below par, I only changed them so that I could get the front ride height correct (the car was on the wrong length springs and riding too high).

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: