Front wheels rubbing on ant-roll bar on full lock

PostPost by: jmp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am

Does anyone else have this problem? This is on an S4 and the anti-roll bar is shiny on both sides. The wheels catch on full lock. Technically an MOT failure? I've got a little play in one drop arm to sort so thought I would tackle this one as well at the same time.
Thanks in advance,
JP
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mart2elan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi JP,
Do you have the right spacers in the steering rack? The spacers give a limit to the full lock posistion. I my case, with the right spacers, the wheels don't catch the ARB even with 165/70 R13 tyres.
Marten
Marten
'70 Elan S4 SE DHC 0007E
mart2elan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:26 pm

I guess the first thing to check is that someone hasn't just fitted a triumph rack minus lock stops.....these can be felt through the bellows I think?
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jmp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks both, I'm picking some new gaiters up this afternoon as one of them is split. Are the spacers obvious?
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:41 pm

A floating tube on the rack on passenger's side about 3" long.....and an extra stepped Hex nut on the driver's side (making three hex nuts in all)

Have spent much of last few weeks up to my elbows in steering rack refurb....pity I just put it together, could've sent you some pics of internals. Maybe post a couple of pics with your bellows off, and someone can advise....though its pretty obvious
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mart2elan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, lock stops is the right word for wat I called spacers.
Marten
'70 Elan S4 SE DHC 0007E
mart2elan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 am

I've had that problem on the left hand wheel with my S4 ever since I've owned the car (30 + yrs) and as far as I know the rack is the original. Its been on my must fix list ever since I've had the car but as no MOT tester has ever picked up on it I've opted for an easy life :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:23 am

The spacers are visible when you pull back the gaiters. Here's what they look like.......
Steering Rack Lock Stops 005.jpg and
Driver's side 0.55" long (welded to nut)
Steering Rack Lock Stops 001.jpg and
Passenger side 2" long - looks longer due to camera angle

I have more than 1" clearance to the roll bar on both sides - that's statically with the vehicle at normal ride height on 155/80x13 tyres. The clearance does reduce with the suspension on full hang.

If you do find you have spacers fitted check the length - earlier cars (pre S4) with narrower wheels/tyres had shorter spacers I believe.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:40 am

Brilliant thanks all and particularly Roger for the pics. I've booked tomorrow to strip it down and sort it. I'll post the results and a pic without the gaiters on.
Advisory drop link bush will have to wait till the end of the summer though.
John
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jmp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Running late but have just removed the gaiter on the near side and there is a spacer but it is only 1 5/8" long. I suspect from the postings that this is too short so I will have to replace it with a longer one. I haven't removed the offside yet.
JP
Attachments
elan n s steering stop.jpg and
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi John,
Looks like you've found your problem - the N/S spacer should be 2" long for the S4, 1 5/8" is too short even for earlier cars.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks Roger. I've got an MOT for the Disco in the morning but then I will get back to the elan assuming the MOT goes okay on the Disco. I haven't stripped the offside steering gaiter yet so it will be interesting to measure that. I wonder why they are too Short?
I need to get it sorted as I'm getting my 26yr old daughter interested in using it a little so I need to encourage her enthusiasm. My lads not interested in the elan or the morgan.
I daren't admit even to SWMBO'd that I struggled to start it after I had had it MOT'd and then stopped to pick up the gaiters on Friday afternoon. Not had that before so I will need to monitor it a little. Good news looking at the rotoflexes during the MOT, they were very good but I will change to CV Joints in the not too distant future as Sue Miller has found a new supplier and is going to start selling them again.
Cheers,
John
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: