Elan +2 Servo

PostPost by: vibrodolly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello,
I'm a new owner and have a 1967 Elan +2.
The servo has an issue. I do not know whether I have a Lockheed or Girling. How do you tell?
I have a Girling powerstop 5204 from a scimitar coupe which I replaced but kept the old part. My elan servo looks very different, so I assum the Lockheed is fitted to the car. There seems to be no name plate.
However the Girling was fitted originally?

So my questions - Is my Girling powerstop unit the one that I should restore, should I get another Girling unit, or should I look at the Lockheed one fitted.

Thanks

Nick
vibrodolly
New-tral

PostPost by: andyelan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Nick

Take care here.

Although original equipment servo for all early Lotus' was the Girling Powerstop, there were a variety of different sizes available. The two seater Elan, for example, was fitted with a 5204 while the Europa Twin Cam used a 5156. I don't off hand what size the Plus 2 was fitted with but it's my guess it would not have been the same as that you have from the Scimitar. Note also there were two different models of servo, these numbers reference the later Mk2B. Early cars, and I believe this would include your '67 Plus 2, would have been fitted with the Mk2A. This might account for the difference in appearance you've noticed

Bottom line is you cant just mix and match components from different cars unless you're sure you know what you're doing

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 am

Salut Nick

Genuine Lockheed servos have 'Lockheed' cast into the bit that accepts the hoses. Copies look the same. If you Google for images you should be able to tell which one you have.

The important info for an exchange is the multiplier ratio - for the Elan +2 it was 3:1 - don't know about the Scimitar.

Girling service kits and rebuilds are very expensive. If you're not concerned about originality you can get a new Lockheed copy for about ?100.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: