squeaking strut / bearing?

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun May 05, 2013 3:02 pm

hello to all of you having a nice sunday - we even had our weekly gathering near the lake. I just rebuilt
my rear struts: everything turns nicely, the housing doesn?t get hot, all of the bolt are fastened, the rotoflex
is still new, new bearings, hub and axle well lapped etc... when the rear is off the ground and when i turn the
rear i hear nothing, but when i push the car around i hear this squeaking or kind of metallic twitshing (hard to
describe, even though the doughnut could (as of new) or the metallic inserts may cause this sound. if i wiggle the car leeft and right it goes away for about 20meters then comes back. all inspected all of the moving components
(incl. brakes) and cant find anything visible to worry about. the squeaking is audible for/during about 20? and returns once per revolution! ----- ANY IDEAS ????? gentlemen?? i sure would
appreciate some feedback - it?s by the way only audible when the motor is not running - thanks sandy 36/4982 ...................i did read the older posts and other than symptoms which i?m already aware of there?s
no actual remedies other than wd 40! --- i think ill give the hubs?axle a swat with a "soft" heavy hammer!
Attachments
strut.jpg and
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Have you tried reasoning with it? If that fails hit it with the hammer.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Sun May 05, 2013 9:41 pm

How about the wheel moving on the hub, had something similar on a car with knock off hubs
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sun May 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Looking at the photo it appears to be the right hand hub/A frame assembly?
I did make a point in one of your previous posts regarding the hub. Assuming that you have not painted it the wrong colour then the hub shown (red) should be fitted on the left. It could be the wheel trying to undo the knock on nut/spinner.
Check the colour on the hub the other side , if its green then you have them on the wrong sides :shock:
Just make sure that the hub nut on the right hand side has a right hand thread and the hub on the left has a left hand thread.
Regards Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 am

thanks mick ---------------- and you're right! they are on the wrong sides: the way they have been since i got the car in 1981! the wheels are always well tightened and so far i never lost a wheel BUT for the meantime i'll leave 'em as they are - looking back i have no reason to be fearful! the squeak i'll try to cure by loosening all of the nuts, lifting the car by the wishbone and retightening them! cheers sandy j
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Mon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Been having a similar squeaking issue when I changed over to cv axles that is driving me crazy trying to find. When the cars rides up and down there is a clear high pitched metallic sound that after squirting WD and then oil on every conceivable surface (except the brakes!) still persists. It's noticeable when I first get in the car, but when I pushed up and down on the back of the car there was no sound. I noticed a couple of the hub pins for the knockoffs are missing, which are ordered, could that be the cause?
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm

hi jon - i loosened all of the nuts (6 of em on the outher doughnut) and lifted the strut with a second jack. thereafter i tightened all of them: RESULT squeakier than before. i'm pretty sure it's one of the bearings and due to the fact that that side was much tighter than the other side i can just hope after a couple 100 miles it will get better OR it's back to the drawing board: meaning at least 10hrs of work! !*?!**++!!??``????!! sandy j
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: