Studded snow tires

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 pm

After seeing the picture of Vernon in the snow in France (Gallery Section) it got me thinking. How about a set of steel TR7 wheels with a set of studded snow tires to tour Lake Tahoe during a mild snow storm? Probably can get a set of tires for $150 or so used, and TR7 wheels are pretty inexpensive.

Ice Racing Anyone :!: 8)
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:44 am

dont know about there but here there is a ton of salt weekly on the roads , will dissolve your chassis to an unstable rusted mass in one winter ------I leave mine in the garage from Nov to April ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 am

I used to take my Elan out on Pirelli Cinturatos just after a snow and before highway dept sanded/salted the roads. Otherwise it stayed in the garage. The salt would eat the shock towers otherwise.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 am

My comment was in Jest, maybe :twisted: . Salt isn't allowed here, however on the Nevada side they spread some sort of de-icer in liquid form on the roads that makes any car look white after a snow. My Subaru gets few if any washs over the Winter and after 7 years shows no signs of rust. I need to find out what that stuff is they spread. Anything that works that good to melt the snow must be nasty. On the California side of the lake they use just a mixture of various sizes of sand. Gets the car dirty but doesn't make it rust. Anyway, the Elan stays in the garage during the Winter as well, but it would be blast to going drifting with snow tires.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: