Hand Brake cable attachment

PostPost by: gearbox » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Does anyone know how to detach the cable end from the "Umbrella" Hand Brake lever from a S4? Not sure how it comes apart. Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Disassembly on the left and reassembly on the right! Please bookmark it and when someone asks again post the link to this topic.

Slacken the cable by pulling the cable off of the rear parking-brake tree, feed it forward a to the entrance of the backbone tunnel, Pull the brake pullout some push the button that the Phillips screw driver is pointing at and withdraw the pull handle some more and that will draw the push button clip with it. Once the clip is out continue pulling out the brake pull and once free you can remover the cable and back feed the loose cable back through the ratchet tube.

Gary

Elan parking brake pull disassembly and reassembly.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks Gary, great pics. It would have taken me a while before figuring this one out. Hopefully the Topic Subject will make it easier for future referrence. But this forum would benefit greatly to have a library of these common issues, instead of searching and hoping you typed in the correct name or phrase lol. I actually searched several times with no luck. Thinking something like this would be a common question as it was not as intuitive as one may think. Thank you again Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I think one of the biggest problems with this forum is the stupid/meaningless titles which many folks put on their threads- "help wanted", "Elan problem" etc are not going to help any future searchers for solutions. Also it seems beyond the wit of many members to put their thread in the correct section- tech questions in Free-Parking and vice-versa.
I have come to the conclusion that this place needs a couple of house-keepers, who can merge duplicate threads and move wrongly-placed ones to the correct section. The longer we go on without some form of administration, the bigger the mess will get.

If, in future, I had a problem with my hand-brake cable attachment and did a search, the title of this thread would take me straight to it, which is great. Well done.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm

elansprint71 wrote:I think one of the biggest problems with this forum is the stupid/meaningless titles which many folks put on their threads- "help wanted", "Elan problem" etc are not going to help any future searchers for solutions. Also it seems beyond the wit of many members to put their thread in the correct section- tech questions in Free-Parking and vice-versa.
I have come to the conclusion that this place needs a couple of house-keepers, who can merge duplicate threads and move wrongly-placed ones to the correct section. The longer we go on without some form of administration, the bigger the mess will get.

If, in future, I had a problem with my hand-brake cable attachment and did a search, the title of this thread would take me straight to it, which is great. Well done.

Hi Pete

I agree with you on much of the issues that this forum has. You and I have been around for a long time and have seen this forum morph into something that I believe was never envisioned by Jeff or any of us. Sorting though 10,000 plus topics is not a job that many (any?) are likely to take on. Maybe its time to archive this forum and make it self serve instead of spoon feeders paradise, then revert back to a single thread, I don't know what the answer is. How many CV - donut topics do we need in a week for Christ sakes? one car? one topic should be sufficient, I keep hoping that my camera will break again and I have an excuse to not bother with these re-runs, the television has already been tossed in the tip, will the puta will soon be next?

Gary

p.s. - it took 2 minutes to find the hand brake pulls, 4 minutes to take apart and reassemble including getting all of the photos (from the time stamps), 10 minutes to resize and edit, and another 10 to 15 minutes to upload and write it up. To loose that info in this black hole called elan.net and it only benefit one person seems like a low rate of return on my time. I guess thats the main reason for changing my user name to piss-ant
Got to get back to "fixen to get ready" for Sandy to kick my ass...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SonnyS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 am

elansprint71 wrote:I think one of the biggest problems with this forum is the stupid/meaningless titles which many folks put on their threads

piss-ant wrote: I agree with you on much of the issues that this forum has. You and I have been around for a long time and have seen this forum morph into something that I believe was never envisioned by Jeff or any of us. ...

Hi Guys,

I have been a lurking & searching fer a while now. I don't think the titles are really a problem. Every search I have done has found something realy usefull in the posts that followed on (even though the title didn't hold any clues) I found info and pics on bumper repairs plus info & photoes of cylinder head thickness under..."Sows Ear Chassis". Go figure? But hey, it worked for me! So keep it up guys.

Regards Sonny
SonnyS
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm

It seems that Jeff has not been in contact since March or earlier, so there is a possibility that something has happened to him!

And if so there is a greater danger for this forum in that whatever financial arrangements he made for this server and this domain name "LotusElan.net" may run out and the computers or the server owners could "pull the plug" and the whole website could vanish overnight.

Best not discuss this topic here, it adds to the confusion, so I've duplicated this message in a more relevant topic.

post175164.html#p175164
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: