Handbrake cable adjustment pics please

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Result! Well done Meg. :wink:

But what is happening now with the new cables available is with everything in good condition, Calipers adjusted and new rods fitted etc (no wear) & the handbrake tree lever where it should be. I.E. as far back as possible and almost in contact with the down tube of the chassis, The cable when fitted (again new!) was seen to be too long by approx 80mm or so. So all the adjustment for cable length was taken up right away just to get the cable ''tension / position'' as near correct as possible. If one needed further cable adjustment you were stuffed as the adjuster was already screwed all the way out of its holder in the frame! Flaming pest it is ( was! ) too, hence the various solution to the problem. But the correct one is of course a cable which is the right length in the 1st place. Hopefully they are now.

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:25 pm

I'll accept that, Alex, and I guess some cables get terminal damage. All my bits are original apart from the re-drilled holes and pins and I just tighten the caliper nuts when the umbrella gets high. What gets me is the position of the brake pipe junction in line with the handbrake cable on new chassis. That's taking authenticity too far.

I can still remember the trouble doing handbrake starts on hills when the handbrake was a brick.

Meg

26/4088 S1?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi guys....

I now have three orders for the clamp on nipple for the handbrake issue where folks have the too long cable still fitted. These should take no longer than 30 Min's to fit including removal and refitting the rear offside wheel to get at the tree lever and cable end. Can anyone else who would like one please measure the diameter of your Cable and tell me whether it is coated (Plastic type cover) or just a plain wire rope type (std)... If you are one of the people about to receive one, please make sure you measure the cable diameter and check it will slip through the hole in the new Nipple before removing / cutting your cable to length.

I will also PM you instructions.when the item is en route to you

Remember please..... Use of this part is entirely at your own risk. As stated previously, I have tested the grip of the Nipple on the cable and using a lever ass'y could not move it along the cable at all. I am sure I had about three times what the load would be if pulling the handbrake on by hand. I gave it a full and very hard tug. Ordering one confirms that you accept these conditions fully..

Any others wanting one PM me as normal.

Looks like GOSH will be the beneficiary from this enterprise. But being retired now I will need to take my expenses back this time.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: