Handbrake cable adjustment pics please

PostPost by: gazzamuffin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 am

Hi All,

Can anyone supply a photo of the "handbrake adjustment bracket" I have no idea what it looks like and where is goes, I have a new hanbrake cable and it is way too long. (the hanbrake level is fully extended just to take up the slack !!)

also, is there anything that holds on the "nipple" at the back of the car? another pics would be useful !

thanks

Gazzamuffin
gazzamuffin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Do you mean this?

mirrored lhd hand brake adjustment beneath engine mount.JPG and

loosen the jam nut just above the sway bar under the engine mount and lefty lucy the adjuster.

more info on cable lengths
elan-f14/parking-brake-cable-length-t22636.html

Alex has also talked about the subject several times.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm

The Cables are always way too long Gazza. (WHY??????)

I think.. I think!!! Sue Miller has had shorter ones made but I am not sure. Folks have come up with solutions various to rectify the situ'. Do a search and you will come up with loads of 'methods'.....

I....... set it all up then fitted the cable with adjustment (see Photo above) fully in and marked the Cable where I wanted the nipple to be. I then simply cut the cable to that length and made a new Stainless Nipple with a clamp system. Fitted it and forgot it. 4 mot's later the handbrake still works very well and the handbrake has had 1 adjustment at the calipers.

Sue's adjustable handbrake rods are worth having to get the set up dead on. :wink:

Have fun...

Alex B..... 8)
Last edited by alexblack13 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:15 am

I had the same problem with a too long hand brake cable. So I made a spacer, that would fit between the adjuster below the motor mount and the outer cable housing leading up to the stalk. The small end of the spacer fits in the adjuster and the cable housing fits in the large end. The slot in the spacer allows the cable to be inserted in the spacer without having to make any modifications to the cable or housing. Works well and the brake will hold the car on inclines.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Attachments
Lotus parts 120.jpg and
Lotus parts 019.jpg and
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:30 am

Or This .....? Much lighter and way neater. And no, one can't pull it off. Its well tested. I put at least double the load on it when testing & Its been through 4 MOT's too.

Take your pick. Any solution will work... But I would ask Sue M 1st..... And get some adjustable rods.

Al' ....
Attachments
010.JPG and
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 am

Rob..What is the length of your take up spacer? I know I cut about 80mm off the cable. :shock:

We should not be having to do these irritating mods to get round a simple handbrake too long issue. I will check with Sue M this morning and ask if this has been addressed.

Alex.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:55 am

Having more time on my hands now that I am Retired, I am happy to make the clamp on Nipple for anyone with the too long cable fitted..

Same rule as the window cable fasteners... After expenses a donation will be made to either British Heart foundation (Received approx ?750.00 from the fasteners) Or GOSH.. Great Ormond st Hospital (kids). I personally support both these charities monthly.

So... ?25.00 delivered.. Stainless & fitted with 2 M4 grubs at 90 deg'.. Problem solved!

PM Me. ( I am still sending Window cable clamps all over the place)

Alex....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am

alexblack13 wrote:Rob..What is the length of your take up spacer? I know I cut about 80mm off the cable. :shock:

We should not be having to do these irritating mods to get round a simple handbrake too long issue. I will check with Sue M this morning and ask if this has been addressed.

Alex.....

Lengths of the RHD and LHD cables will need to be different. On a LHD the cable forms the Hypotenuse of a right triangle as it crosses over from the left hand side to the right hand side of the chassis, on a RHD the cable forms the adjacent side of the same triangle so it is approximately 1/2 inch or 12mm shorter in the effective length. If you look at this photo of the 3 cables that I had back in March they are all with in an inch and a half. One is 46 years old and may have a bit of stretch but probably not much. Another was bought 8 or 10 years ago and the other in March when the photo was taken.

Gary
Attachments
parking brake cable length.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

I think that the cable available is to the latest issue - Earlier handbrake trees were of a different design and had an extra bit. Also If the adjuster is screwed too far in the cable gets close to the chassis.

I made my adapter from a bit of steel tube same O/D as the cable outer (metal bit). Cut a slot in the side so it slid over the cable. Put a tight fitting piece of rubber Vac pipe over the top of the whole thing.

Steel tube came from B&Q I already had it and the Vac pipe so cost was 0.

Nice work as usual Alex - Cable nipples are however mass produced.

Is Andy from Lotus around? Could we get him to get the drawing out and check the revision levels - Then maybe Lotus could make the right one! or at least tell us how long it should be.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Nice work as usual Alex - Cable nipples are however mass produced.

Simon[/quote]

Not like that I don't think Simon. I searched around and could have got something to do the job but I wanted it the correct shape to slip into the tree slot and locate properly. And it had to be capable of drilling and tapping as needed. A couple of the swaged on type were close but not quite and did not allow me to remachine them easily. So I made a couple..

I have a cnc lathe mind................ :wink:

I have not managed to get a word with Sue Miller yet.

The cable is still too long (the ones I received were anyway) even for the latest offset lever type tree.

Hey ho. I will advise when I get Susan on the phone...

Garry.. Yes Ackn'd the cables will be different for LH / RH drive. I am only referring to the R/H drive UK cars cable. I assumed Gazza was UK based? if not? Oh well.. Sort it as see fit.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Guys,

Spoken to Sue and the answer is yes, she has the cables made 50 mm shorter.

Available now. She won't be at the NEC show though. :?

Have fun now..

Al' .... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Without getting under the car at the moment, I think it was about 8cm over all. I set the adjuster bolt as far towards the mount as possible. Pulled the housing away from the adjuster as far as I could. Took a rough measurement of the exposed cable and threw a chunk of steel in the lathe. I figured there would be enough adjustment in the threaded portion to make up for any short comings on my part. It actually turned quite well. Didn't have to move the adjuster much at all. The handle now only moves about 1/3rd to the way out, with a stout pull.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Braw!.. :wink:

I am sure that is what Sue M shortened them by.. She said 50 but I am sure I told her ''75 - 80''. They are a very good fit apparently. No come backs.. 100% OK..

Hopefully that will be that! LOL.....

Thanks Rob.

Al '.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 pm

I replaced my cable with one from Sue Miller about April last year and it fitted perfectly. :D
If I recall Sue said that they were shortened to Alex's spec.
Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 pm

I solved the long-cable syndrome without replacing the cable thirty years ago when I had the diff out. All the handbrake links had teardrop holes, due to lack of lubrication, which I drilled circular and turned new pins to suit. Smothered everything with grease and have never had a handbrake problem since (nearly 100,000 miles) and didn't touch the adjuster which is at its maximum "out" position.

Meg

26/4088 S1? 260,000 miles
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: