Do you need to change Locotones when changing rear shocks?

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello,

Everything is in the tittle. Is it a usual thing to change the locotones when you change the rear shocks.

When I go on the SJS web site the good thing is that you can see pictures of what you want to buy (compared to TTR which lack pictures).
The picture of the front shocks adjustable set from Protech is very accurate and I can see that everything that should come with the shocks is there ( all the bushes are there!).

When I give a look at the rear dampers, they look naked, no platform, no springs... so you need to do your own shopping cart. As I am a noob, it is more difficult to buy the complete rear damper set up compared to the front ones which are proposed as a clear , neat and complete package...

Help appreciated in order not to forget anything.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm

I installed new lotocones when I replaced the dampers. The rubber was cracked separating from the metal.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I don't know of anyone selling complete refurbished rear struts. The naked damper you see is one part you'll need. Replace the others based on their condition. Have a look at Ray's on line store. He's in the US but it's a great resource as he has the parts manual posted on line.

http://rdent.com/manuals/index.html

If you're going to take this on I'd suggest you have a shop manual on hand. It's a good investment if you don't have one.

Run some searches on the forum for more info of rear strut rebuilding.

Every Lotus owner started out as a noob. You're in great company.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Hello Bud, I have the original workshop manual. :mrgreen:

But I need time to assimilate it.

Steve has the rear strut things you re talking about http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10

My problem is that I don't often understand what we are talking about unless I see a picture. Then I get it. Not so easy when english is not your mothertongue...
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Because I have a spyder chassis I need to identify in order to purchase the right model of rear shocks if I have the Spyder double wishbone suspension or standard rear strut type.

argh! it becomes tricky
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:23 pm

If you are changing to the adjustable platform and narrower spring, you can install the lotocone on top of the spring into one assembly, using button socket head bolts, you can then bolt the whole thing in assembled. It's much easier. So remove the lotocones, if they look old, replace them. One thing to be aware of, the lotocones use very narrow headed bolts that may very well have never been removed, or at least, have been in for many years and may not want to easily come out. Be very careful not to strip the bolt head, its extremely easy to do. Good Luck. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 am

When you are removing everything consider new inner and outer bearings as well. They are essentially a wearing part and much better to take it all down once.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:59 pm

It's certainly easier to replace the Lotocones when replacing damper inserts. No doubt yours are the originals and to see if they need replacing look for de lamination of the rubber to the bonded metal parts like the inner sleeve.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Pistacchio sprint 72, I looked through your other postings but couldn't find another name. Must be something else you'd like to be called.

It does become tricky, but once you know which rear suspension you have, Spyder or original, You'll find no end of help from those with the same setup.

Pictures are a great help both with the questions you will have and the advice offered. They seem to be the universal language of all Lotus owners. ...and they are hard to misspell as well.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: