+2 Alloy Wheel Collar Needed !

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi,
I have just purchased a set of factory alloys but the seller only had 3 collars (I'm referring to the concave washer that fits between the spinner and the wheel, see pic) is missing. I'm hoping that someone has a spare collar they're willing to sell. The reproduction ones from Paul Matty apparently don't fit. Thanks.
Best Regards,
Jon Bathmaker
Attachments
RINGO.jpg and
Last edited by JonnyPlus2 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oillite » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 am

There is a guy who advertises them on ebay now and then, think he was in Devon. I bought one off him last January if I can find the relevant paper work I'll pm. you.
oillite
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 pm

oillite wrote:There is a guy who advertises them on ebay now and then, think he was in Devon. I bought one off him last January if I can find the relevant paper work I'll pm. you.

Hi Jon,south west lotus centre sell them ,i bought a set from them last year for approx ?6.00 each. i had to drift them in with wooden blocks and hammer,then pulled them in with the spinners,short road test to retighten the wheels is a must as they were all loose after 1-2 miles regards phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for this, I'll give them a ding on Monday morning.
Regards,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

JonnyPlus2 wrote:I'm referring to the concave washer that fits between the spinner and the wheel, see pic

Thanks for this image. Now I know that the thrust rings supplied by Minilite for their peg-drive wheels are essentially the same as those for Brand Lotus wheels. Could someone post an image of the alloy-wheel only knock-on nut? I would like to see the profile of the nut where it engages the thrust ring.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Russ

Forgive my ignorance,but are you refering to the large nut that that holds on the wheels,as opposed to our uk type 3 eared spinners?

i have a set so i can post up images if were talking the same component

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Paul,
Yes, that is what I am referring to. They are three-eared in all markets up to 1967 and then with an octagonal wrenching surface from 1968 onwards in the US. I am most interested in the profile where the nut contacts the thrust collar of the alloy wheel.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Russ

Tomorrow I will get some pics up for you and try to get some dimensions for you too.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Russ,
You have a PM
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:
JonnyPlus2 wrote:I'm referring to the concave washer that fits between the spinner and the wheel, see pic

Thanks for this image. Now I know that the thrust rings supplied by Minilite for their peg-drive wheels are essentially the same as those for Brand Lotus wheels. Could someone post an image of the alloy-wheel only knock-on nut? I would like to see the profile of the nut where it engages the thrust ring.

Russ et al, I have 5 1/2" x 13" Minilites I purchased a couple of years ago through TargettMotorSport in the US. They were supplied without thrust rings. The profile in the wheel is kind of rounded. Should I be installing the same rings being discussed? Did you get some from Minilite?

thx
Attachments
Minilite mounting.JPG and
Minilite 5 1/2" x 13" Peg drive mounting. The profile is a convex curve rather than a bevel profile like in my octagon nut.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 am

I guys, Here are three picture. One is of the spinner's beveled portion that fits the wheel. Notice the bevel has a large surface to contact the wheel. I just got a Minilite picture that has a recessed thrust ring that is almost square which means a very limited contact area. And means that the spinners have to be screwed down even closer to the wheel. Like some of the Lotus alloys 10 spoke for Elan+2s my knockoff tool could touch the wheel--not good-- This is the first Minilite that I have seen that had a recess thrust ring like the one in the photo. Are they all like that or is it just a particular manufacturer? Sounds like since the thrust ring are detachable that there may be a variety of choices.??
The other picture shows a thrust ring that stands proud and has a bevel that matches our spinners. Its a much better fit that match the two surfaces.

Sarto
Attachments
DSC00004.JPG and
e Minilite showing centre.jpg and
DSC00005_2.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:18 pm

stugilmour wrote:Russ et al, I have 5 1/2" x 13" Minilites I purchased a couple of years ago through TargettMotorSport in the US. They were supplied without thrust rings. The profile in the wheel is kind of rounded. Should I be installing the same rings being discussed? Did you get some from Minilite?

Stu,
I bought my Minilites through the fellow in Connecticut who was Minilite's US agent at the time, sorry I don't recall his name now. He was a fabricator who did a lot of work on historic rally cars. My Minilites were delivered with the thrust rings. I don't see how these wheels could be secured properly without the thrust rings. Without them the knock-on nut is likely to bottom on the threaded section of the hub before putting any load on the wheel.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

mac5777 wrote:I guys, Here are three picture. One is of the spinner's beveled portion that fits the wheel. Notice the bevel has a large surface to contact the wheel. I just got a Minilite picture that has a recessed thrust ring that is almost square which means a very limited contact area. And means that the spinners have to be screwed down even closer to the wheel. Like some of the Lotus alloys 10 spoke for Elan+2s my knockoff tool could touch the wheel--not good-- This is the first Minilite that I have seen that had a recess thrust ring like the one in the photo.

I believe the uppermost of your three photos is a Panasport wheel which has a thrust ring which seems to be designed to work with the more common knock-on nuts for steel wheels. The Minilite wheel appears to have the same type of thrust ring that was used on the Brand Lotus ten-rib wheels. My thinking is that the knock-on nut for alloy wheels would probably have a deeper internal threaded section to keep it from bottoming on the hub before loading the wheel. The knock-on nut or alloy wheels might also have a non-conical profile where in comes up against the thrust ring. Hopefully we'll see some photos soon. I did search the archives for an illustrative photo but could not find one.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:
stugilmour wrote:Russ et al, I have 5 1/2" x 13" Minilites I purchased a couple of years ago through TargettMotorSport in the US. They were supplied without thrust rings. The profile in the wheel is kind of rounded. Should I be installing the same rings being discussed? Did you get some from Minilite?

Stu,
I bought my Minilites through the fellow in Connecticut who was Minilite's US agent at the time, sorry I don't recall his name now. He was a fabricator who did a lot of work on historic rally cars. My Minilites were delivered with the thrust rings. I don't see how these wheels could be secured properly without the thrust rings. Without them the knock-on nut is likely to bottom on the threaded section of the hub before putting any load on the wheel.

Hi Russ

Steve Francis was the Minilite person that you may be thinking of. I would have post photos but I don't have any of that modern stuff in the collection of stuff.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks for the follow up info guys. The middle pic posted by Sarto is the same as my Minilites. Sarto's pic shows the convex curved profile way better than my pic.

I discussed at length the Minilite fitment issue today with John Targett on the phone. He is the current US supplier for Minilite as per the Minilite UK web site. Really good guy; races an MGB.

http://www.minilitewheels.us/

John is contacting Minilite UK to follow up on Minilite thrust ring requirements and availability. Hope to hear back in the next few days; he only has a short window today with time zones. John really wants to follow up correctly on this as he has sold about 1/2 dozen Lotus peg drive wheel sets in the last couple of years and has not heard of the issue.

I really want to make sure I get the Minilite fitment sorted prior to my LOG32 trip. On the way to LOG31 in Las Vegas I almost had the left rear wheel depart the car at speed! :shock: Wondering now if my 'firm' torquing of the octagonal Nader Nuts is causing issues with wheel vibration.

Will let you know when John calls back.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: