Lotus Elan

Wheel paint

PostPost by: bast0n » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 am

I suspect that this may have been raised before but I could not find it anywhere - so here goes.

I have recently repainted my wheels with Simoniz Five Wheel Spray bought from Halfords. I have used it before to good effect but they seem to have changed the formulation and my wheels have turned out grey.

I have now bought some Wurth Silver Laquer Spray Special and the results are as below. This photo was taken in my barn with lowish light and no flash. The difference is amazing. I am so pleased and this may stop somone making the same error.

PS - bought through Amazon from MTW Direct. Very fast service.

Wheel paint.jpg and
Last edited by bast0n on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset

PostPost by: robertverhey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

They look great. Reminded me, in a previous life as a detailer I used to use silver engine enamel followed by clear laquer on wheels. Cheap, and gives that beautiful translucent look. And so easy to re-do.

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 781
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:06 pm

bast0n wrote: I have recently repainted my wheels with Simoniz Five Wheel Spray bought from Halfords. I have used it before to good effect but they seem to have changed the formulation and my wheels have turned out grey.


Excellent. I really like the look of 'em...almost like a brushed stainless finish. I wonder if it would do equally well on fibreglass...bumpers f'rinstance 8)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi

I believe Rustoleum Hard Hat #2115 Aluminium is a close match if you want them to look original?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
User avatar
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Location: Colchester, Essex. UK

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 am

I have always thought they were originally a darker silver color than the wheel on the right on the top photo. Indeed I had my wheels re-painted a darker shade to "correct" the Krylon rattle-can silver that my wheels wore when I purchased the car.
But I realize now that I don't have any memory of what Lotus wheels looked like when they were new, I just think they should look like the painted wire wheel on Triumphs and MGs of the era. So what is correct? (Not that I am unhappy with my darker silver wheels)
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 22 Feb 2011

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 am

PanoGuy wrote:I have always thought they were originally a darker silver color than the wheel on the right on the top photo. Indeed I had my wheels re-painted a darker shade to "correct" the Krylon rattle-can silver that my wheels wore when I purchased the car.
But I realize now that I don't have any memory of what Lotus wheels looked like when they were new, I just think they should look like the painted wire wheel on Triumphs and MGs of the era. So what is correct? (Not that I am unhappy with my darker silver wheels)


The Elans that the folks in the U.S. received were assembled at the Lotus plant down in Kentucky, they were total different than anything that the guys in the domestic market received. :) I brought a wheel to my friend that paints and he said "argent silver" without batting an eye. I don't have a clue on whats correct and this forum only add confusion to any and all topics. So paint the car or any of the parts what ever colo(u)r that makes you happy and lets all get out and enjoy the drive. My memory sucks and so does everyone else's.

The S4 wheels look about as bright as the ones on the right, the others don't
Elan brochures.JPG and


Gary
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: bast0n » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 am

Yes - I think my new paint may be a bit bright but below is my first Elan, brand new in '66 and it looks pretty bright in the wheel department. The problem with the 5 wheel spray cans that it came out dullish grey and did not look right at all.

Lotus SAR 370D (9).jpg and
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 am

http://www.google.com/images?q=argent+s ... sult_group

Argent Silver
Image

I am not saying "wrong" or right, just saying the definitive attitude needs to be tempered. Mine needs to be also. This forum is heading down the "I'm right, god and Ron are on my shoulder" rat hole and I would like to see more info and less cow dropping statements. The rattle can that Lotus bought down the street because they were out of what ever other rattle can really doesn't matter much to me. I just want to build and drive and offer what I see to others. I don't want to be right, I just want to drive.
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 am

Here is a group of period factory shots for the Sprint brochure. This car was a Series 4 converted to Sprint at the factory before delivery, which is why it is wearing the silver wheels and not the production black wheels.

It might help to give some further perspective on what was then the factory shade of silver for the wheels.

Tim
Attachments
Sprint Brochure 3.jpg and
Sprint Brochure 2.jpg and
Sprint Brochure 1.jpg and
User avatar
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2812
Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Location: Essex/Herts border, UK

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 am

trw99 wrote: It might help to give some further perspective on what was then the factory shade of silver for the wheels.
Tim


Tim,

Which factory? Paint specified by Lotus but applied by Rubery Owen?

I don't think R.O. would have been in the business of "popping out for some spray cans". Or were they supplied in primer (or unprotected :shock: ) for Lotus to finish? Not what I would have expected.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:50 pm

piss-ant wrote:The Elans that the folks in the U.S. received were assembled at the Lotus plant down in Kentucky, they were total different than anything that the guys in the domestic market received.


Is this where they stocked the bandaids to cover scratches in fascia panels?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
User avatar
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

piss-ant wrote:I am not saying "wrong" or right, just saying the definitive attitude needs to be tempered. Mine needs to be also. This forum is heading down the "I'm right, god and Ron are on my shoulder" rat hole and I would like to see more info and less cow dropping statements. The rattle can that Lotus bought down the street because they were out of what ever other rattle can really doesn't matter much to me. I just want to build and drive and offer what I see to others. I don't want to be right, I just want to drive.


Hurrah! Gary's back! :twisted:

I'm glad the friendly bloke pretending to be him has gone :wink: :lol:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
User avatar
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 am

It is so good to get a kicking from Gary again!! I have missed him.................

I have done the wheels now and am very pleased with the Wurth silver paint - not too bright and the dreaded grey - gray for Gary - has gone for ever. :)

Spot wheels.01 002.JPG and
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
piss-ant wrote:I am not saying "wrong" or right, just saying the definitive attitude needs to be tempered. Mine needs to be also. This forum is heading down the "I'm right, god and Ron are on my shoulder" rat hole and I would like to see more info and less cow dropping statements. The rattle can that Lotus bought down the street because they were out of what ever other rattle can really doesn't matter much to me. I just want to build and drive and offer what I see to others. I don't want to be right, I just want to drive.


Hurrah! Gary's back! :twisted:

I'm glad the friendly bloke pretending to be him has gone :wink: :lol:


bast0n wrote:It is so good to get a kicking from Gary again!! I have missed him.................

I have done the wheels now and am very pleased with the Wurth silver paint - not too bright and the dreaded grey - gray for Gary - has gone for ever. :)

Spot wheels.01 002.JPG


Aw shucks, so nice to be loved. :)

Image
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Loved? Don't push it :wink:
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset
Next

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests