Lateral play in inner bearing (Front Hub)

PostPost by: Simmo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Good evening, I'm just in the process of overhauling, cleaning up and rebuilding the front suspension on the S4. Prior to dismantling the hubs there was no bearing play detectable. However now that I have separated the hub from the vertical link there is an amount of lateral (along the length of the axle) play between the inner & outer race, this being the inboard bearing closest to the vertical link. The outer one is fine. Is this normal? has anyone else experienced this and would you change it?
Simmo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Don't quite understand - the hub bearings need to to be testing in situ - i.e. with the hub on the axle, if there is no play then the assembly is fine.
However, if you've got it stripped down and are concerned then replace all the bearings as a matter of course; don't agonise over one possibly worn worn bearing. Cost? front hub bearing kit ?20; just change it.....
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:33 am

The play along the axle of the front hub taper roller bearings is controlled by the adjustment nut on the end of the axle and must be specfically set within the tolerances specified. I dont understand how you can have axial play in one of the bearings and not the other as they are rigidly connected by the hub?

In any case if you are rebuilding the front suspension / hubs you should replace the bearings

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 am

Simmo,

I would have no problem in keeping the existing bearings if it was just inspection and maintenance ie you have seen that they are ok. Others may change them anyway because of the effort involved.

If you haven't taken the inboard bearing off the shaft you will need to make sure that the dustshield/seal metal retainer is in the hub properly.

There should be nothing stopping you from tightening the nut until the bearings start to bind ? You don?t want them that tight. As they are taper roller bearings you need to have a small amount of play, how you set this depends on your method. There is one method described in the WSM
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 am

AHM wrote:There should be nothing stopping you from tightening the nut until the bearings start to bind ? You don?t want them that tight. As they are taper roller bearings you need to have a small amount of play, how you set this depends on your method. There is one method described in the WSM

Good advice to follow the WSM - that's how I've always done it.

1. Torque the spindle nut to 5-6 lbs ft.
2. Back-off the nut one flat.
3. Insert new split pin.

Job done.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Simmo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 am

Think I am being paranoid, car was MOT's & serviced by Lotus garage just before it went 'off the road' and they were all fine then with no play.

But thank you to those who replied.
Simmo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 am

Simmo wrote:Think I am being paranoid, car was MOT's & serviced by Lotus garage just before it went 'off the road' and they were all fine then with no play.

My MOT man says that taper bearing hubs with no play is a definite failure.

The WSM specifies 2-4 thou end float. Ignore that at your peril.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Simmo wrote:Think I am being paranoid, car was MOT's & serviced by Lotus garage just before it went 'off the road' and they were all fine then with no play.

But thank you to those who replied.

Taper Roller bearings always have axial play when they're not assembled - most of them come apart, for heaven's sake, how could they not have play? Have you removed the seal on the inside of the hub? If and when you do, your bearing should come apart - you will have infinite play.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: