Wood Rim Steering Wheels

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm interested in buying a spare wood rim wheel for my S2, but there seems to be a great variation in price, a wheel from PMS is around ?325 whilst a wheel from the 26 Register is ?650. Are there multiple wheel manufacturers? I've not seen any of the wheels in the metal - are some better quality than others?

Anybody seen any of the wheels? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi

I've got a surplus woodrim from my S4, don't know the origins but condition looked Ok lat time I saw it, I can dig it out if you're interested.

regards Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Please - I'd love to see it.

Many thanks :)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:22 pm

I have a couple original wood wheels, lots of horror stories on this forum about them snapping. I don't know if the reproductions are made the same way but my guess they are as they are trying to offer "originality" over safety. I am not sure what I will use when I finally get something running but i'll have to make that decision (I hope) soon. I really think they belong on the mantle but that just my opinion.

elan-archive-f16/snapped-wheel-t3561.html

If I were to be spending money I would probably give Tony Thompson a call and get one of those red wheels (it got to be fast) and it may be a bit safer than holding on to a couple wooden stakes of Dracula with your hands.

5 wheels, the center 3 I will use, the 2 Elan wheels are mantle display for me, The Chapman wheel (upper left) has been welded and the 64 glued (upper right). I do like the Les Leston wheel and the nardi too as they have a center of ally that is wood clad front and rear. New reproduction wood wheels may be better but?
pentangle of wheels.JPG and

1964 wheel.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Deleated
Last edited by types26/36 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks gents, I'm familiar with the original wheels, but I was wondering if anybody had knowledge of the new ones?

Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my original post.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Clear as mud dear fellow as always.

A certain Gent from Lymington has one on Ebay at the moment, inference is its an original so in reality it is a repro :-).

Wooden wheels shattering, folk will be asking for airbags next or better still buying an Elise :twisted:

The Alternative Command Structure
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 am

casalunge wrote:Clear as mud dear fellow as always.

A certain Gent from Lymington has one on Ebay at the moment, inference is its an original so in reality it is a repro :-).

Wooden wheels shattering, folk will be asking for airbags next or better still buying an Elise :twisted:

The Alternative Command Structure

I'm sorry I must have been sober when I wrote that.

Anyway what are you doing on this forum? Surely Low Flying would be more down your strada :lol:
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 am

I knew what you were asking and you got the answer I gave. To buy an expensive reproduction to pose with seems as useless as tits on a bull. New or old, my opinion is still the same and I am clearly not the poster child for safety as someone suggested. I managed to live through my young and dumb years, now that I am into my old and stupid years I can laugh at those things and come away with a perspective that I did not, nor could have had. I wouldn't consider my S2 as a safety car but the wheel that is in was in it when I bought it in 1976 and it will stay in my hands for a number of years to come. Like I said, buy the 26r reproduction wheel.

S2 interior.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 am

piss-ant wrote:I knew what you were asking and you got the answer I gave. To buy an expensive reproduction to pose with seems as useless as tits on a bull. New or old, my opinion is still the same and I am clearly not the poster child for safety as someone suggested. I managed to live through my young and dumb years, now that I am into my old and stupid years I can laugh at those things and come away with a perspective that I did not, nor could have had. I wouldn't consider my S2 as a safety car but the wheel that is in was in it when I bought it in 1976 and it will stay in my hands for a number of years to come. Like I said, buy the 26r reproduction wheel.

S2 interior.JPG

Thank you for your opinion.

Now getting back to the question asked (talk about thread drift). If anybody has experience of the replica wheels I'd like to hear from you - thanks :)
Last edited by Mazzini on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

Another forum, I haven't the time - too busy trying to prise an airbag behind that valuable original Lucas horn push without damaging it.

Was it that American chap Nader who said unsafe at any speed :twisted:

Talking of of America does the S3 come upto expectation?
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 am

casalunge wrote: Talking of of America does the S3 come upto expectation?

Duties and shipping paid, just waiting for the green light from the shipping company to go collect the car - watch this space :)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan41963 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Buy the TTR wheel. Its a flat nice wheel, looks great in the car. I really thing the original wood looks great, the repros just aren't worth it.
Elan41963
New-tral

PostPost by: zog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I bought a wood wheel from Alpha Steering Wheels for one of my restorations. I thought it was beautiful and it was as strong as a new wood wheel could be. I just told the new owner not to use the steering wheel to pull himself forward to adjust the seat.

http://alphasteeringwheels.co.uk/wheelexamples.html
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:26 pm

'Allo Zog,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I remember seeing the photos of the wheel on your Elan - great restoration job by the way, I was tempted, but I already have an S2.

I tried emailing Alpha steering wheels, but I never got a reply.

All the best,

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: