Rear shocks

PostPost by: AChen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Disassembly of my '69 DHC rear suspension revealed two different shocks: a Koni 82R1371 and an unidentifiable shock that seems to use the strut tube as its exterior housing. The latter has a dial at the bottom to perhaps adjust the dampening. Neither shock was operating properly. My questions are (i) is the latter shock an Elan OEM original and (ii) are either shocks serviceable?

Thanks,
Tony
AChen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 am

The early elans used the strut tube as the shock outer, later cars used an Armstonrng insert into the same tube. The early version had a fill plug in the side of the strut tube that was for oil addition I believe so you can identify them. You see them with early series 16 castings, never seen one on the series 18 casting and seen some series 16 castings without them. Your 69 Elan should have come with a series 18 casting as standard. Check the casting number on the alloy casting. it sounds like you car may have had an earlier strut fitted at some point in its life.

Koni's would have been an after market change also.

Sounds like its time for 2 new inserts while Konis typically can be serviced I would get 2 new matching shocks.
cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 am

Tony,
Tony Thompson Racing, in the UK, can supply limited stroke Konis that are top adjustable. The limited stroke avoids extreme driveshaft angles at full droop.
Regards,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AChen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Rohan, Colin,

Your clarifications were well appreciated.

T
AChen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AChen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:46 am

I ended up getting SPAX Krypton gas shocks from Ray at RD Ent.

Tony
AChen
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: