Throttle return spring - Dellortos

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Chaps

I am in need of some help. I have been refurbishing my twin dellortos. All is done and I have bought a new throttle spring and new air box back plate.

My problem is that as my project is in kit form I never saw how it is supposed to go and I am not able to figure out how it goes. I mounted both carbs into the back plate and could not figure it out so I took one carb off and still could not do it! I don't even know which end of the throttle return spring goes through the throttle lever and which through the hole/holes in the bracket on the air box.

Does anyone possibly have a photo of their dellortos in situ with the spring so I can see how it goes? I did do a search on here but drew a blank. My books (Brian Bucklands and the workshop manual don't help either.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:21 pm

There are a few pics in this thread including Weber which is basically the same.
elan-f14/throttle-return-spring-secondary-t19046.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sat May 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Brian

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I seem to have sorted it by using the old spring. There is something amiss with the new one. The leg with the semi circular hook on the end is different on the new one in that it has a 20 degree bend in the leg. The old one still does not operate in quite a vertical plane but it is much better than the new one which looks horrible when installed and fouls on the throttle operation.

Anyway have installed the old one and will see how we go later when the engine is in the chassis.
Thank you
Ian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Ian,
The Weber spring and the Dellorto springs are not the same although I thought it was only a different thickness, maybe you have the wrong spring?
Attachments
springs web & del.PNG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm

types26/36 wrote:Ian,
The Weber spring and the Dellorto springs are not the same although I thought it was only a different thickness, maybe you have the wrong spring?

I guess what you don't know won't hurt you..... I have been using a Weber spring on my Dellortos for close to 20 years now. I have been so used to modifying parts so they fit or work right that I never gave this a thought. Learn something every day. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: