Steering play at particular position.

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm

The bushes you mention, would these be the ones behind the rack?
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Ok I just had a little look in the dark and the axial (longitudinal) play is not in the collapsible joint but it is too dark to see if the UJ is loose though I doubt it.
So I am 95% sure it is at the pinion.
I exaggerated a bit though - it is only 5mm of movement and it stops sharply and firmly at either end of the 5mm travel.

I found this and assume it is very close, if not the same.
http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/ ... 010096.pdf
So I now see where my problems might lie. Could well be that bottom bush (not the damper).

Think I will take the rack off next weekend and have a look inside.
Perhaps it is not the pinion.
If so are the other bits still available? I see mention of Moss in old threads.
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 pm

If the bolts which holds the U/J to the steering column or the pinion shaft become slightly loose, this allows the column to move about 5mm longitudinally. Check these are tight before starting a major dismantling job. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 pm

True, I need daylight and a willing victim to check this out though. :D
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

End float should be a few thou not several mms, the pinch bolt on the spline is almost certainly loose, it may also resolve the pinion play that you have.

Dont delay with this as dependant on how loose it is it can very quickly strip the splines and leave you turning the wheel in vain whilst heading for the scenery.

Been there done that etc
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

So not only does a loose UJ onto the pinion cause axial play but if you happen to have fitted the UJ just so it will also simulate the effect of a worn pinion! Very clever of it. :wink:

It is a bit of a pig to get at the nut and bolt at the bottom of the UJ (one of the Spyder types). I must have been somewhat remiss in ensuring I really had tightened the nyloc when I fitted it 2 years ago. I realised this morning that the best place to see what was going on was not from above, where the radiator obscures the view, but looking in the wheel arch. From here I could properly diagnose the issue (I could actually see the pinion's shaft) and could also make sure that the bolt stayed still as I gave the nut an extra twist.

Steering is now perfect in all axis and has the benefit of the wheel no linger scraping the cowling on occasion. High speed straight lines should be a bit more predictable too.

Thanks for the input and all in the nick of time for tomorrows MOT!
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Simon

I'm glad you got a good result, from your first descriptions it seemed there was a serious problem.

I see you have steering in all axis, does that mean you can make the Elan climb and dive too?

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: