Lotus Elan S2 SE leather steering wheels

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 am

In the UK cars are issued with a registration number that stays with them for the life of the vehicle unless the owner wishes to change it. Two letters contained in the registration number show in which area the car was registered, in the case of SAR - AR refers to Hertfordshire, which is where Lotus were based at the time, many Lotus press cars or factory built cars were registered 'SAR'
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 am

bast0n wrote:Mazzini

And still looking for that elusive S3 SE dhc

Are they rarer than most models?

David

Anarchy Elan S3 S/E DHC - just to make you envious!! :wink:

Good ones are. I've found a number of RHD ex UK cars in the States and Europe. I wonder if it had something to do with importation laws - pre '68 cars and emission controls?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 am

Hi all,

I have an S3 Elan, it has the leather steering wheel with the slotted spokes (the same as shown in the photos here). However, my car is not an SE. Was this leather steering wheel an option on the cars? It may have been replaced at some stage, but due to the relative rarity of these steering wheels, this seems unlikely. Are there any other non SE Elans out there with the leather/slotted steering wheels, or do I have one of the Lotus exceptions that Alan was referring to :!: :? I actually prefer the look of the wood rim steering wheels in the old cars, (along with the yellow/green horn push) but that is my personal opinion.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LCRJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Thank you again for your information.
I think all 60's original Lotus steering wheel made by Springall.
I remember the other SE steering wheel same as first picture.
However it had a little fat hub attached.
Possibly it was visible so with the angle to see.
I've never seen the type of steering wheel any books.
Thank you.
Hiro :D
LCRJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm

LCRJ wrote:Thank you again for your information.
I think all 60's original Lotus steering wheel made by Springall.
I remember the other SE steering wheel same as first picture.
However it had a little fat hub attached.
Possibly it was visible so with the angle to see.
I've never seen the type of steering wheel any books.
Thank you.

Dear Hiro-san,

Sounds like you're describing a Lotus Cortina boss. Perhaps a previous owner couldn't find the correct wheel and put together what he could find?

I believe you're right in that all 1960's Lotus cars had Springall wheels.

Best regards,

Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:03 pm

skelteanema wrote:Hi all,

I have an S3 Elan, it has the leather steering wheel with the slotted spokes (the same as shown in the photos here). However, my car is not an SE. Was this leather steering wheel an option on the cars? It may have been replaced at some stage, but due to the relative rarity of these steering wheels, this seems unlikely. Are there any other non SE Elans out there with the leather/slotted steering wheels, or do I have one of the Lotus exceptions that Alan was referring to :!: :? I actually prefer the look of the wood rim steering wheels in the old cars, (along with the yellow/green horn push) but that is my personal opinion.

Dear Skelteanema,

I'd love to see some pictures of your Elan, have you posted any on the forum?

It's possible Lotus were out of standard wheels on the day your car was made. Perhaps the car was front end accident damaged early in it's life and it's the wheel that Lotus supplied for the repair, the wheels are quite fragile. It could be that a previous owner just wanted a leather rim. I guess we'll never know, but we do know you have a rare and attractive wheel on your car.

Cheerio,

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Mazzini,

Picture were posted on this thread:
elan-f14/lurker-reveals-himself-t19843.html
You can see the steering wheel in the 2nd one down.

A previous owner posted in the same thread giving a little bit of background on the car.
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:06 am

That was really interesting! Imagine finding the second owner after all these years. Did you get the photos? I suppose it would be too much to hope that the second owner photographed the wheel back in '69?

Have you ever tried to drive an Elan with a wood rim wheel whilst wearing woolen gloves? I did once, just once, I was a teenager at the time, I ended up using the spokes to steer with whilst pulling the gloves off with my teeth.

A lovely car by the way.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LCRJ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Mazzini-san,
Thank you for your message.
Yes, probably the steering wheel had Lotus Cortina boss.
I don't remember the details of the steering wheel.
However I believe it did not have any gap between the rim and the boss.
I will keep try to find some information and let you know.
Thank you.
LCRJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 am

No I didn't get the photos. Shame but at least I have a bit of history on the car.
Didn't consider the difficulty of driving with the woodrim wheel, just like the look of the woodrim in these older cars.
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 am

skelteanema wrote:No I didn't get the photos. Shame but at least I have a bit of history on the car.
Didn't consider the difficulty of driving with the woodrim wheel, just like the look of the woodrim in these older cars.

Shame about the photos, they would be great to have.

I agree, I think the wood rims and the leather covered SE wheels look the best and I rather like the feel of them, however they are quite dangerous as there is no steel reinforcing in the rim, so in an accident (or if the car is pushed by the wheel) the wood breaks which can cause serious injury and if it doesn't the metal spokes will...

An elegant and attractive design, but not without a few minor issues...cough...
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 am

Here's what Graham Arnold said about the steering wheels (for the Lotus Cortina, but same construction)...

Our Lotus Cortina Reg: LNK something was of course an A-bracket car and we had a new axle every Monday morning for weeks! Being a big lad I found the big fat Lotus Cortina seats a little too upright so I just leaned back a little to tweak the tubes.
That was in fact a very good idea and it became known as my modification, BUT on this occasion I was pushing on the steering wheel rim and it just detached itself from the spokes and collapsed. One look at the diabolical design and I was not surprised; in fact we were all horrorstruck because there was nothing to stop those spokes pulling out at any time during an emergency.

I'll stick to the MotoLita on the road!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gazzamuffin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1968 S3 elan with a leather colin chapan steering wheel produced by Springhall attached are the pics of the steering wheel. hope this helps you.
Attachments
IMG_1338.JPG and
wheel after a little TLC!
IMG_1335.JPG and
original label on rear of wheel
IMG_1334.JPG and
horn button is damaged but i think thats showing some of the history of the car, if i replaced it the car looses its id!
IMG_1333.JPG and
pic of the wheel before cleaning!
gazzamuffin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 pm

My 68 S4SE had the horrid plastic wheel but ACDC must not have been in that week because it was not signed, MY 69 S4SE has the horrid plastic wheel but that one is signed. My Sprint has a very nice period Moto-lita 12" wood-rim. :)
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Skelteanema, I have found the photo`s of your elan ( when looking for something else as usual) but they are not very good / clear, but do show the wheel. It does look like a woodrim wheel and that is how I seem to remember it, but that was a log time ago, I also seem to recall that the wheel on the S4 that I took delivery of had a much better feel to it as it was thicker in rim diameter.
I have given the originals to two different people and asked them to enhance the photo`s, but none are very successful but you are welcome to them all if you would like them.
Send me a PM if you do, with your address and I will get them to you as soon as I can, but I am in and out of hospital at the moment so please be a bit patient.

Kind regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: