Randy,

Before.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:05 pm

What's the difference between S1 to 4 Elan Callipers and the ones on the Sprint from 1971?
Are they just metric or something?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:13 pm

The Elan S1-S4 calipers has the brakehose connection on the side, the Sprint calipers has it on the top.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Jannik
Thanks for that , so these are Sprint type http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370568490467? ... 1423.l2649

Would they be OK for an S4 as at that price its cheaper than refurbing the originals, or am missing something

Cheers

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi Terry

I think that they would be ok, but you would have to change the brake hose if you car has the Girling 14LF as my car has.

I have been reading up on the differences in Brian Bucklands book.
It seems that during the S4 series they changed from the Griling 14LF calipers with the brake hose with banjo fitting on the side, to the caliper with the brake pipe with top connection. Se his book page 436 ? 438.

So if you have the Girling 14LF caliper on the , same as in the picture, then you would have to get the small bracket and brake pipe also to make it fit. But it shouldn't be a problem, please correct me if I wrong.
Attachments
IMG_2230.JPG and
Girling 14LF
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks Jannik
So all I would have to do is just ask for late Sprint Aeroquip hoses and all should be OK
I'd better wait for the car now!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Actually I think that the hoses are the same, it's just that one is connected to a banjo fitting and the other to a small brake pipe.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi,

Terry those calipers on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370568490467? ... 1423.l2649) claim to be new but they have what looks like plated bolts, which original calipers wouldn?t have had and wouldn?t be safe.

The first cars came with a type 12 caliper but were quickly replaced with a 3 bolt type 14, which later became a much better 4 bolt design. Later calipers changed the porting orientation.

Brand new caliper are still made from time to time in the original factory but there are a lot of Chinese copies out there complete with bolts which are not marked with the appropriate strength ratings.

Regards
Steve
Last edited by patrics on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

The same vendor is selling Imperial GT6 calipers for not much more- OK you will need new discs (but I'd hope you were doing that anyway) and new mounting brackets (I got some s/h from Spyder for 15 quid).

In your position, I'd go for the larger items. I did and... I did not change the bore of the master cylinder either; sometimes there are too many theoretical opinions expressed here (with the best of intentions).
It's all in the archives somewhere- we had a prolonged debate, iirc Steve Waterworth (SteveWW?) came to the same conclusion as myself, after weighing up all the options. We both had lots of miles covered without issues when the debate fizzled out.
The only thing I might do differently is try to source some ally GT6 calipers, the iron ones (and the standard Elan ones) are really heavy lumps. I guess it's about how much cash you have at the time. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:36 am

syrius wrote:Hi Terry
you have also this solution
caterham caliper and vented disk .

A+
Serge

Serge
Is this on your S4? Very nice!

I think I may have to go a bit more standard!

A+
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: