That old chestnut,trunnion lubrication,well nearly..

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Well it's getting towards winter again and as ones thoughts turn to maintenance I have had a change of heart and decided to oil rather than grease my trunnions...the question is this...having bought a Wanner type grease gun,can I alter/convert it to pump oil into the grease nipples in my trunnions or am I going to fail?

Thanks
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi John, I don't know what make my grease gun is but it works fine with oil or grease. Just remember to pump it a few times before use to remove old oil or grease when going from one to the other.

Ken.
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 pm

I use a Wanner with liquid grease, but also used it with oil without problems john.

Do you know how to fill it? Is it the one with the small chain / handle at the bottom?

Great choice by the way. I swear by them.. Have sworn AT a lot of grease guns but not that one... :lol: :lol:

Have fun!...

Alex..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Alex et Al

Yes,it has the spring pulled back and held back by the chain/handle,I suspect that when not in use the spring should be held back so as to release the pressure on the oil??

John :wink:

P.S. have three wanners in total,one for grease,one for oil (hopefully) and one for use with old grease fitted with metric and imperial nipple connectors for brake calipers...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Yep! Pull the spring pressure off and lock the chain into one of the slots or it will empty the oil / grease onto the floor.

V pretty when its grease. Looks like a wee load o worms... Oil on the other hand just makes a mess and stops the floor paint from sticking for about 150 years... :?

... Al' .......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: