Steering Column - Bent?

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:16 am

Hi All,

I thought I would save my neighbours from the usual restoration noises this morning. So I addressed a long standing issue, that the steering wheel boss drags on the column shroud.

I took the wheel off and this is what I found:

The top of the outer column seems to be offset (maybe bent) is it removable?

Thanks,

Simon
Attachments
Elan Column.jpg and
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:57 am

I think you will find that the top outer part that bells out has come adrift at one side on the main stem. I broke my top part from the main stem when changing bushes and fixed it with 4 pop rivets. It has some kind of alloy spot weld to hold it in place. This can take some stress when bushes are changed.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 am

Did you get this figured out? I have the same problem on my S4 that become apparent when I reinstalled the steering column.

I thinking i may have not have installed the rack in the correct position. I changed to the alloy steering rack mounts and it could possibly result in the knuckle joint (rack) slightly too far to the right. Is there a drawing or measurement that could be used to confirm the rack is in the correct lociation on the chassis.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 am

Hi James,
There's a dimensioned drawing of the assembled rack in the workshop manual so you can work out where the centre of the rack body is and check that against the centre line of the chassis.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I have the S3 column out at the moment to change the bushes and the wear patten is central.

The issue in the picture is due to the top part of the column being bent to one side ( or not welded on straight).

If you rack was offset the column wouldn't lineup with the dash very well - It wouldn't cause the situation in the picture as the bushes would keep the inner and outer column central/concentric.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 am

AHM, You are right on the money with the top piece of the steering column. I was able to adjust it and it lined up in the center. I also realised I need a top bush. I have a kit on the way.

I have another question: I removed the inner shaft, from the column. I also left the bottom shaft installed on the spline coming throught the bulkhead. I then slide one over the other without the bracing brackets etc. The shaft lines up and touches the left side of the wooden dash. see picture. It can be pushed over to the center, but it places some strain on the shaft. Does this seem normal?

This is one of the reasons I thought the rack was not in the correct position.
Thanks
James
Attachments
photo4.JPG and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 am

The column is mouted at three points; on the rack and the dash are fixed so dictate its angle, from memory the third, the middle clamp, allows some adjuatment. It shouldn't need any force to line them up (other than to overcome their weight and the rubber UJ). Additionally there is a hole in the bulkhead that the shaft passes through providing a third fixed point. This provides a range of possible allignment for the column.

For the rack - Check that you have the correct parts and check the manual for correct assembly.

Make sure nothing touches the column in the engine bay.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: