Head Liner install with sunroof

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Thought best to start a new topic for this. John was kind enough to post photos of his sunroof install here:

elan-plus-f13/bought-plus-t23440.html

For those with sunroofs, how did you (or the original installer) handle the head liner? I tried cutting the rods and fastening them under the lip on the sunroof, but the result is pretty lousy.

My sunroof (a NOS Weathershield / Britax fabric unit) looks a bit bigger than John's. resulting in none of the lasting rods fitting continuously from side to side.

Any suggestions appreciated. Can't provide a pic right now as car is in for service, and the current install is pretty embarrassing. :oops: Not a rush job by any means, but looking for ideas.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Stu,

Not sure how this would apply to a +2 but FWIW...

On my S3 Coupe, with a Britax Weathershield roof, the rods had been dispensed with.
I did find, however, a pair of flat steel "hoops" running across the front and rear edges to support the weight of the assembly (the closing tension loads being met within the aluminium frame)

The fitter had then cut the headling (about 1/2" smaller than hole) which was glued around the perimeter before the aluminium frame was fitted (same as around front & rear screens)

Perhaps Steve S2 could add more when he gets his +2 on Friday...assuming he can stop grinning! :)

HIH Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:33 am

Most helpful Richard. Similar approach here, but leaves lots to be desired in the execution. Does the headliner go taut between the door gasket and the sunroof rail in a straight manner? Trying to figure out how to get a nice curve to the headliner without the lasting rods providing the curvature.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Are you guys taking about the headliner around the move-able fabric roof?

I thought the regular headliner had foam above/behind it? Mine seems to, as it's completely deteriorated and dropping yellow dust on my seats/dash continuously :shock:

Just thinking that foam would support and provide for all the shape/curves you wanted . . . :?:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Stu / Randy

Q. Does the headliner go taut between the door gasket and the sunroof rail in a straight manner?

A. Yes, and also 'tween screen rubbers & sunroof frame (rail). But with mine being a Coupe there's not a lot of material left to worry about. Peripherally speaking :) Can't speak for a +2 installation

Q. Are you guys taking about the headliner around the move-able fabric roof?

A. Yes.

Q. I thought the regular headliner had foam above/behind it?

A. Wasn't foamed backed, or foam lined, in '67 on a Coupe.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Sea Ranch wrote:Are you guys taking about the headliner around the move-able fabric roof?

I thought the regular headliner had foam above/behind it? Mine seems to, as it's completely deteriorated and dropping yellow dust on my seats/dash continuously :shock:

Just thinking that foam would support and provide for all the shape/curves you wanted . . . :?:

The stock setup in mine was a series of 'lasting rods' that went hoop style from side to side like covered wagon cover. The rods were held in place by a wire clip that screwed into the fibreglass I think along the ridge holding the door gasket. I believe the rod count varies by model if you are ordering up new material; Sue Miller has pre-sewn replacements or the correct material by the yard. The pre-sewn piece has tubular pockets sewn in at each seam which provide the tension and shape to the headliner. The hardest fitment parts are just above the doors where the rods bend and tucking the liner under the gaskets (glass has to be out).

I think I will try more foam around the edges. That's how I tried to do it between the sunroof and the edges, but I think I did a pretty lousy job. Was in a rush 'cus the glass guy was coming the next morning.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: