A simple wheel protector to reduce knock-on wheel nut mishap

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Back Then, the theory was that the nuts (spinners) tightened against the direction of rotation. Hence the handing. So assuming the car goes faster and accelerates longer in the forward direction, the nuts (should) tighten as one drives the car.. Or so the thought goes. But it does not work on the Elan!!

In my Industry (woodworking machinery) the tool securing nut always tightens against the rotation. Say tool rotation is anti clock then the nut is std r/h and tightens clockwise. Some times getting them off can be fun.. This was all fine until they added braking to the machines and tools now must stop rotating in under 10 secs. This deceleration now slackens the nuts, so some form of locking can be required...

Oh the fun of it... :roll:

AB....
Last edited by alexblack13 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Alex,
I was told if you can not read the undo arrow, always tighten the spinners forward to the front of the car on both sides. And to the rear of the car to undo them. I have Lotus center stickers covering the face of the spinners.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm

mac5777 wrote:Now I'm confused, I thought that the two eared splined hubs must be greased but on our Lotus spinners, we were advised not to lubricate them as they may unscrew more easily. But maybe the copper stuff is OK? Over tightening them is the real problem.

Sarto,

My teaching in 40 years auto experience says that no threaded fastener should be used without lubrication.

alexblack13 wrote:Back Then, the theory was that the nuts (spinners) tightened against the direction of rotation. Hence the handing. So assuming the car goes faster and accelerates longer in the forward direction, the nuts (should) tighten as one drives the car.. Or so the thought goes. But it does not work on the Elan!!

In my Industry (woodworking machinery) the tool securing nut always tightens against the rotation. Say tool rotation is anti clock then the nut is std r/h and tightens clockwise. Some times getting them off can be fun.. This was all fine until they added braking to the machines and tools now must stop rotating in under 10 secs. This deceleration now slackens the nuts, so some form of locking can be required...

Knock-ons with splined hubs is another matter altogether - and the opposite to the Elan. Many of the splined hub brigade use locking wire on their spinners - as a result of bad experiences, no doubt.

Nice one,Alex, regarding your woodworking machinery. Regular engineering machine makers found this out donkeys years ago - that's why locking pins of some description are used. Not unlike the Elan, really. :)
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 pm

The wood machine guys were the same. But some machines could rotate both ways! Then what? So they produced a simple screw on and Allen key wedge locking 'nut' arrangement. So no more big spanners and gorilla arms... :lol: :lol: :lol: Or they just stuck two nuts on. Or they key-wayed the top collars below the nut,which is basically the same as the Elans wheel locator's & drive pins. In theory no slackening or tightening moments. But I am sure my nuts are tightening up as I drive the car.

:shock: :roll: Very painful! They are a swine to slacken off I kid you not! ...

The car's that is... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al'.......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: