Tyres

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm

[quote="Jens Jeppsson"]. Saw the Falken ones aswell, anyone having experinces with those tyres?

Hi Jens,

I had Falkens on my +2 though not in the size you are looking at. They were FK07U's in 175/70 13 size. I have to say they were truly awful in the wet - moderate acceleration away from a traffic roundabout would send the tail out and front wheel lockup under braking in the wet was really un-nerving. They scared me so much I splashed out on Michelein XAS FF's before the Falkens were a quaretr worn. The Micheleins are fantastic (great steering feel and grip) but very expensive over ?150 per corner in the UK now but the car was frightening to drive in the wet on the Falkens, just horrible.

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garybolin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm

If you think the 185 and 175 by 13 tires are hard to find, just wait until you start looking for 145R13 tires in the US. I would love to find another set of Dunlop SP20 in 145R13-74S but they apparently no longer exist. So, for us in the colonies, it's Firestone or Vredestein Sprints. :(
garybolin
New-tral

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Jens Jeppsson wrote:I thank all of you for good feedback. Started out vacuming the forum for threads regarding the said dimension but couldn?t really find anything helplfull. Then I checked around the net to see what's available, not plenty but hopefully enough. Pretty much got my mind set on Hankook OPTIMO K415. Not cheap, not very expensive either. Saw the Falken ones aswell, anyone having experinces with those tyres? I?ll prolly go for the Hankooks unless someone, that means "you" persuades me to look elsewhere :-D How about Vredestein? They carry three different models in 185/70 R13... It?s veritable jungle ,and still this dimension I?ve come to understand, is getting hard to come by, atleast if you want perfromance tyres and not just your regulars... Well, yet again thanks all! I?ll be checking in again in a couple of days hopefully to find somtehing truly revolutionary tyrewise! Or else on goes a set of Hankooks...

Cheers mates!

p.s

really need to read up on the english, atleast words concerning cars and their parts...

Recently changed my three back tyres (includes Spare :) ) to Hankook Optimo's from Verdestiens.

All 165/80 13s T rated.

Initial impressions were not good.

Had told the guy changing the tyres 22lbs all round.

First drive was a 300km round trip.

Car wandered like a loose....well you get the idea....not good.

Blamed the tyres for tramilining etc.....and maybe the old tyres for wearing a bearing on the rear.

BUT...in a brainwave moment checked the tyre pressures on the weekend:

20, and 19 on the rear.

Pumped up to 22, and it already feels better. Have not been at speed since though (120km/h ish) so not 100% convinced by the tyres yet.

When I do, I'll post back.

Just a little warning.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 am

Jens Jeppsson wrote:Hehe

Well, I?m in and from Sweden. Though it?s been a couple of years since I quit school and therefor my english isn?t what it once was. But hey, that?s getting old to you, forgetting things. If there?d been any fairness in the world one would remember all the good stuff an forget all the stupid stuff... I guess that?s not how it is, sitting here and struggling with my english ;-)

Hehe, at least your English is waaay better than my Swedish (of which I know none)...

And I'm old too. At 70 probably lots older than you.

:P
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:14 am

In the US Kuhmos have been getting a lot of good reviews. I have had a set on my Elan Sprint for just a few hundred miles but am well satisfied so far. I think at this point I would be more willing to try Korean than Chinese.
I think there is a Kuhmo Solus in your size, maybe someone has tried it, I have 155/80-13, a bit different perhaps.
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 am

Hi, Just to put in my penny worth, I am running an S4 I have just rebuilt the front and rear suspension which ended up with brakes and discs etc. I fitted Tony Thompson adjustable front and rear shocks and springs in order that I could fit a set of Minilite 5J 13" wheels. I spoke to Tony Thompson about tyres he uses on his Elans a Chinese tyre made on Japanese machines with Japanese rubber. He claim they are very good and suit Elans very well. Since Tony Thompson is a chassis man as I understand, his opinion should at least be taken into consideration. I am just on a trip to Scotland at moment but I plan to have a set delivered for end of August. 165 70 13" H rated which is up to 130mph. More than enough.

If anybody has had experience of these tyres would be grateful for any comments.

My Elan cruise's nicely at 70 at just 3200 RPM my top gear is 0.89 on a 3.55 diff. (am sure someone will say this is wrong, I still need to check my speedo on a sat nav to get it accurate, but its close enough), I am looking forward to my new wheels and tyres I will post my thoughts after a trip to Angouleme in September.
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:56 pm

What brand?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Call Tony Thompson and ask
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jens Jeppsson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Decisons decisions...

Life would be easier without them. I?m the kind of person lying awake at nights hoping that something truly revealing will come to me... And it doesn?t (most of the time). But it all must come to an end right now! Think I?ll go for a set of Kuhmo's, Solus KH17... If this choice in any way offends someone or is outright stupid please don?t hesitate to tell me :wink:

You all have a good weekend and remember: Full throttle folks!
Jens Jeppsson
New-tral

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote= billwill <snip> Pete has posted 2241 messages [/quote]

And not a single futtock amongst them! :x

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

billwill wrote:
diggerdog wrote:Happy-snaps Pete says "Read the archives, if you are in such a hurry."

Why is this guy such an arse?

If you can't help guys asking for help then say nowt!

Or are you just advertising your happy-snaps?

Pete has posted 2241 messages, you have posted 3 !

So who is the arse?

:twisted:
Bill,
Thanks for your support (I'll wear it religiously, i.e. every Sunday). I'll admit it- I is a arse!

I think that it would be a really good idea if Jeff made it compulsory to register a real name and a location; that way I could at least see who is having a pop at me and where from.

So, diggerdog, from fuck_knows_where: welcome to the forum. I'm sure that we look forward to many more apposite contributions from yourself.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Just to follow up on my comments below (another 500+ miles on).

Got the bright idea to switch my front (Vredestien) wheels to the back and the new (Hankooks) wheels to the front.

Hey Presto! Car stable again!!

Not sure what it is with Hankooks, but they were horrible on the back!

Peter

peterako wrote:
Jens Jeppsson wrote:I thank all of you for good feedback. Started out vacuming the forum for threads regarding the said dimension but couldn?t really find anything helplfull. Then I checked around the net to see what's available, not plenty but hopefully enough. Pretty much got my mind set on Hankook OPTIMO K415. Not cheap, not very expensive either. Saw the Falken ones aswell, anyone having experinces with those tyres? I?ll prolly go for the Hankooks unless someone, that means "you" persuades me to look elsewhere :-D How about Vredestein? They carry three different models in 185/70 R13... It?s veritable jungle ,and still this dimension I?ve come to understand, is getting hard to come by, atleast if you want perfromance tyres and not just your regulars... Well, yet again thanks all! I?ll be checking in again in a couple of days hopefully to find somtehing truly revolutionary tyrewise! Or else on goes a set of Hankooks...

Cheers mates!

p.s

really need to read up on the english, atleast words concerning cars and their parts...

Recently changed my three back tyres (includes Spare :) ) to Hankook Optimo's from Verdestiens.

All 165/80 13s T rated.

Initial impressions were not good.

Had told the guy changing the tyres 22lbs all round.

First drive was a 300km round trip.

Car wandered like a loose....well you get the idea....not good.

Blamed the tyres for tramilining etc.....and maybe the old tyres for wearing a bearing on the rear.

BUT...in a brainwave moment checked the tyre pressures on the weekend:

20, and 19 on the rear.

Pumped up to 22, and it already feels better. Have not been at speed since though (120km/h ish) so not 100% convinced by the tyres yet.

When I do, I'll post back.

Just a little warning.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Solve all your problems and fit Yokohama A100s - 20 psi front and 25psi rear - Brill!

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Jens,

I suggest you call Bennets Bildelar in Lerum if you want a Swedish guy to speak to, or if you are in the vincinity of G?teborg just take a trip to Stenkullen. ;)

http://www.bennetsimport.se/

H?lsningar

Jens
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

We all know the importance of getting the right tyres on the car. I to my shame have not had the sprint 4 wheel laser alignment checked yet as it does drive very nice but I do get some white lining issues from the tyres. Bridgstones all round 'cause when I got the car it had three new ones fitted. One other new one of a different make on the back and a duffer spare.. So I whizzed off the duffer and fitted a new matching Bridgestone to make up the 4.

Happy days really but it needs a set of Mitchies to make it dead right.

I fancy a set fitted to a new set of wheels of the Panasport or Maglites type in Gold wheels to match my bumpers.. The st'd wheels would then live in the store room until required by a new owner...

What do you think? Anyone else white lining on Bridgestones?

Shite weather up here right now. We left 30 deg' heat in Portugal yesterday to come back here. We must be mad!

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: