Steering Column Baulkhead seal

PostPost by: Donels » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks guys, I follow what you're saying but there is still no way the cable can pass through plate. The threaded adjuster is just too big. The nipple and cable passes through the hole up to the adjuster. Unless the handbrake mechanism can be disassembled there is no way it will fit.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:02 pm

maybe you have the cable back to front ? worse case the hole in the plate can be enlarged. The seal is just a sheet of rubber with a couple of holes, sandwiched between plate and bulkhead.
Just to recap.
starting with a cable lying on the bench...
threaded part of cable is fitted to threaded tube in chassis from engine side, all the way in. should be a locknut or two, make sure they are on the right side of the adjuster thread...
the other end of the outer cable is pushed through the plate (and seal or grommet) into the cars interior.
the small hinged part of the handbrake is attached to the cable (cable drops through a slot, hinged part needs easing apart carefully as its some mazak stuff), the hinged bit attached to handbrake after. theres some bit the nipple sits in.. a while since I did mine...
the cable itself is threaded back through the chassis and attached at the tree.
once the handbrake mechanism is adjusted the tension on the cable is adjusted at the front.

hope this helps a bit more
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:33 pm

Donels wrote:Thanks guys, I follow what you're saying but there is still no way the cable can pass through plate. The threaded adjuster is just too big.

The nipple doesn't have to pass through the plate. The nipple end of the shielded portion of the cable faces away from the plate. Only the cable end without the nipple goes through the plate.

JF.gif and

The attachment is a .gif file and doesn't show up well unless you click on it to enlarge (or look in the parts manual).

What may be confusing is that the cable adjuster screws into the barrel fitting under the motor mount going front to back. The inner cable then runs back through the frame to the handbrake tree. The other end of the shielded portion makes a U-turn, back towards the bulkhead and passes through the plate in the picture.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Sorry guys until I saw Bud's picture I didn’t realise the outer cable could be separated from the handbrake mechanism. Now it makes complete sense and I can fit the plate. I have made a new plate that fits better. Many thanks.

Dave

694E2ADC-D8B1-4FB4-862A-2E5AB8BA5AC9.jpeg and

49B81259-8D1F-48DD-B4CB-BA7DAE4B92BE.jpeg and
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:41 pm

somewhat different handbrake to mine, possibly elan , or maybe a really early ×2... either way it looks to have the same component parts.. am assuming the release is a twost instead of the white button.
Good that you have got it sorted
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Glad you have it sorted.

The picture I posted came from R.D. enterprises ltd web site here in the states. It's also available here on the forum in the wiki: https://lotuselan.net/wiki/Category:Plus_2_Parts_List. It sure comes in handy for sorting what goes where.

Now the fun part. If the body is off, it's a piece of cake to thread the cable down through the box section of the frame. If the body is on, not so much fun.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: