Rear wheel bearings

PostPost by: c42 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:28 pm

I have checked in the archive to confirm the rear wheel bearing numbers on my '72 +2, the outer bearings are CSK 6206RSR but I have one inner RHP 37-130PP and the other RHP 1LG30 which has an O ring seal on the outer race. Which inner should I be looking for or does it not matter?

Regards
John
Attachments
RWB.jpg and
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:25 pm

I've seen sealed bearings before but never with an o-ring! Is that standard and how is it retained?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't think it matters. I just replaced mine - the one I took out had no o-ring whereas the new one (as supplied by Paul Matty so I'm assuming it's right) had an o-ring. I can really see what purpose the o-ring serves, but it's in now and seems to be working fine !

Steve.
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't think the O ring is standard. The seal is the spring ring type as normal. I think it is an attempt to stop water / dirt ingress into the bearing area. Kinda primary seal if you like. Does the O ring contact the face of the hub? or just pressed against the steel shield? Normally you need to trim off the little excess rubber from the standard bearing rubber seal to allow the shield to seat properly and the circlip to fit correctly.

Happy days!

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for the info everyone, the O ring seems to be standard and just presses into the housing and I can only assume that it is to stop water ingress into the carrier and when I order the bearings I need not specify this type. On the subject of the steel shield, one of shafts had what I can only describe as an aluminium thrower ring/washer between the outside face of the bearing and driveshaft as in the photograph; I take it both sides should have this washer.
Bearing2.jpg and
Bearing1.jpg and

Thanks again
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:44 am

That does look to be a non std set up, and certainly the 1st time I've seen the bearing +O ring. It looks an attempt to stop water etc getting to the bearing..Fair idea as that can be the number 1 reason for failure. Bad fitting comes next.

From memory.... The shields are only at the hub side. I could be wrong here though...

Don't you have a manual?

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am

These bearings are some that Colin "borrowed" from the Vauxhall viva and avenger,some have the outer O ring,some don't,it doesn't matter but a good idea if you're handy with a pair of scissors as per "Blue Peter" is to make up the shield from some thin plastic (washing-up bottle?),lighter and longer lasting...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi Alex

Yes I do have a manual but it does not show this clearly at all, in fact it does not show quite a few things which is why I value access to the mine of information on this forum.
Thanks to every one.

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:37 pm

The bearings usually fail because they dry up and being 'sealed for life' that finishes them off.

There was an article in the Club Lotus mag, years ago, where someone had drilled the aluminium housing and fitted a rigid tube through to the inside of the bearing with a grease nipple on the outside. He had removed the inner bearing seal and could lubricate the bearing during regular servicing. I wonder whether it worked?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:27 pm

What about Brian Buckland's excellent addendum to the workshop manual? Do you have one? That, I am sure should cover it..

AB.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Alex, I am afraid I do not have the Brian Buckland addendum, what is the exact title and I will try and get hold of one.

Thanks
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:53 am

c42 wrote:Hi Alex, I am afraid I do not have the Brian Buckland addendum, what is the exact title and I will try and get hold of one.

Thanks
John

Try here... http://shop.clublotus.co.uk/products/11-Books/

AB...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for the link.

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi

My copy o f the Lotus Elan+2 Workshop manual under section G page 12 under additional information says " Before replacing bearings , it is necessary to trim flush the surplus rubber seal which stands proud of the outer race on the inner bearing (nearest to the drive flange coupling) so that the spacer and retaining circlip may be fitted correctly"

from what i recall both type of bearing with or without the outer o-ring can be found so U pays money and takes choice

hope this helps

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 am

alexblack13 wrote: Normally you need to trim off the little excess rubber from the standard bearing rubber seal to allow the shield to seat properly and the circlip to fit correctly.

Happy days!

Alex B.... 8)

Snap?

AB...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: