Old Tyres / MOT advice / What now?

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, could that be due to the extra tread depth on new tyres as opposed to old or is it a characteristic of the tyres? I put Rain Experts on a Skoda Octavia and was very happy with them. Of course wet weather driving is a given here!! :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:08 am

Galwaylotus wrote:At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, could that be due to the extra tread depth on new tyres as opposed to old or is it a characteristic of the tyres? I put Rain Experts on a Skoda Octavia and was very happy with them. Of course wet weather driving is a given here!! :lol:

With my level of knowledge of things automotive teaching me to suck eggs isn't going to be happening any time soon :? :? :? :lol:

Having said that - the tread depth possibility had crossed my mind, as had the observation that the older tyres had the tread across the full width of the casing whereas the rain experts have a kind of shoulder with the actual tread area a bit narrower. Both say /said 155 /80 on the sidewall but the rain experts look like they might have a bit less rubber in contact with the road. Or, it might be something to do with sidewall stiffness or rubber mix or wishbone bushes or my imagination or .....?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I have tried several tyre combinations and wasted money the Bridgestones were okay but not as good as the worn out remoulds on the car when I got it. Also have tried Goodyear GT they're were bloody awful and didn't like the Uniroyal rain tyres which as a previous post said maybe the new type. The side walls seemed to be to soft and I just didn't like them. Tony Thompson convinced me to use cheap Colway 165/70 13s and at the standard pressures the car handles superbly andd allows you to contollably drift the car.

Just my opinion let us know how you get on. I really wanted to try the Michelins but at over ?600 a set I couldn't bring myself to try them :shock:
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Mike,

Great tire news. A couple of questions if I may. Can you post a pic of the Colways? Where can the Colways be purchased. What was the cost of the Colways? Many thanks! Famous Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous