Old Tyres / MOT advice / What now?

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:50 am

In a fit of enthusiasm, I took my 'to be restored' '71 sprint for an MOT last saturday. It passed, but the tester said I was a fool to be running such old tyres. The tyres are virtually unworn, but after a little headscratching I figure they must be 25 years old. I have done a little searching on this and other forums and recommendations run from 6 to 10 years as the life of a tyre before the rubber compound deteriorates. I am clearly on borrowed time.

I am using standard steel knock-on wheels, and the old tyres are 165/13 Goodyear Grand Prix H. I have trawled through this forum for advice on tyres, but many of the posts go back 10 years and thinking (and tyre availability) has moved on.

Would someone indulge me and give me the current view on tyre choice for a '71 sprint on standard steel wheels?

'Fast road' usage, and given the small number of miles driven each year, tyre wear is not an issue - so a softer compound would be OK.

Thanks.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 am

Andy,
At the risk of being labelled a ludite or purist, I think that the cars look at their best when on original size/pattern of tyres. Vintage tyres at Beaulieu manufacture new tyres to original pattern/specs. I use them for my Plus 2 and Europa.

Just my humble opinion,Sir

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:54 am

My +2's on 165 R 13 Vredestein Sprint+ T80's and love them!

Got them for about ?45 each fitted and balanced so they don't break the bank :)

Good in the wet and great in the dry.

Only thing is that they may not meet the speed requirements for the UK MOT.

Take care,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 am

I put Michelin XVS on my S4 to some scepticism from Paul Matty, given the cost. They were very impressed however, especially in the wet. Incredible grip but they are a relatively soft compound so you may not get more than 10k milkes from the rears. Give Dougal at Longstone Tyres a call (great character who races a Fraser-Nash) and seek his advice. If you decide to buy any of their tyres they will ship them to you.
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 am

Frazer Nash please - and no hyphen!

And Dougal Cawley is son of current Frazer Nash Car Club Captain Andy Cawley, so they both know something about fettling - and tyres!

It was Dougal who competed in a 2002 Ford Hearse at this years Pomeroy Trophy at Silverstone.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Indeed, never understood why Archie had a hyphen in his name but lost it on the cars. Still, the greatest motoring icon in the world does have a hyphen, the E-Type, so maybe he missed a trick! It is also the only car whose model name takes precedence over the manufacturer. It has always been known as an E-Type Jaguar; can't think of another.

David-Jones
Lotus-Elan-S4
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Heuer wrote:.........Still, the greatest motoring icon in the world does have a hyphen, the E-Type...........

Think you mean Lotus Elan old chap :lol:

PS: Lotus Elan S4 doesn't have a hyphen :wink: ....but then you knew that already :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 pm

peterako wrote:Only thing is that they may not meet the speed requirements for the UK MOT. Peter

The UK MOT does not currently include an assessment of tyre speed rating or age however fitting a tyre of a lower speed rating than specified by the manufacturer could allow your insurance company to wriggle out of a claim. Just tell them of all 'modifications' (wheels, wings, widgets), you will be covered and it will probably not affect your premium.
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

When I was a lad and the Jaguar E Type had just been invented - ! - the worlds motoring icon was the RR Silver Ghost.

Sorry, wandering way off topic, back to the wine for me.

Tim
Last edited by trw99 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
Heuer wrote:.........Still, the greatest motoring icon in the world does have a hyphen, the E-Type...........

Think you mean Lotus Elan old chap :lol:

PS: Lotus Elan S4 doesn't have a hyphen :wink: ....but then you knew that already :D

Yes-it-is-only-the-Lotus-Elan-Sprint-that-has-a-hyphen-to-match-the-side-stripes. :lol:

So you think you are hard enough to take on the E-Type eh sucker? Well here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is: http://silverstoneclassic.com/on-line-p ... sportscar/
Last edited by Heuer on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 pm

trw99 wrote:When I was a lad and the Jaguar E Type had just been invented - ! - the worlds motoring icon was the RR Silver Ghost.
Tim

Focus Tim, put down the wine - it is an E-Type Jaguar. Even says it on the back:
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I put Vredestein 155 HR 13 Sprints from mytyres. Now ?70 each but still much cheaper than the Michelin tyres. Very happy with them compared to my 15 year old Goodyear Vector tyres which looked great but had minimal grip especially driving over diesel on the road ....

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 am

I've just fitted some firestone 155x13's to my elan for exactly the same reason as yourself. The MoT made no comment on the age or speed rating of the originals which were SR rated and must be over 20yrs old. The replacements are T rated (118mph) and I think they were roughly ?50. I just wandered into the local tyre place and asked to see what they'd got. Once we'd established it wasn't for a trailer there were only 3 options, Firestone, Bridgestone and some weird name I'd never heard of.

As previously noted, the MoT isn't bothered about speed rating, just the tyre condition as far as splits/bulges/tread goes. My old SR rated tyres were fitted at a time when you simply couldn't get HR tyres in the UK and Graham Arnold of Club Lotus wrote several articles about the options, including an agreement from the insurance companies that using SR ratings wouldn't invalidate your policy "unless the speed rating could be seen to be the sole cause of the accident". Presumably if you crashed at 113mph (SR=112mph) then you wouldn't get paid out, but in an elan that's probably the least of your problems :)

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Heuer wrote: It is also the only car whose model name takes precedence over the manufacturer. It has always been known as an E-Type Jaguar; can't think of another.

How about the Dino, which was not badged a Ferrari and has only subsequently been refered to as one.
the current Mini?
SS Jaguar although you could debate which was the manufacturers name at the time!
C-type ,D-Type
or closer to home Colin Chapman refered to the John Player Special without mention of Lotus

Firestone F590 readily available, reasonable tread patern/reasonable price
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks all for the feedback.

I will let you know what I end up with.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff